Painting New Plaster

Options

Comments

• zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers home_alone and nickj. Unfortunately h_a I have already coated all the walls so your suggestion is not possible. As for redecorating nickj, I'm hoping that will be some way off, but I guess I'll just have to sand it all back at that point? The plus side to this is that it is at least only skim over plasterboard. i imagine (from what I have read) the problem is much worse if painting over thick plaster.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of interesting replies here, which leads me to question a couple of things.

I was advised today that I could put a miscoat on a wall which was plastered less than 24hrs ago, which I have now done (diluted white matt emulsion) but having read the above I'm now worried I've made a huge mistake :o

Also, my tiler PVA'd a freshly plastered wall last week prior to tiling when the plaster was barely dry (4 days old) - will this cause any problems in the future?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • BobProperty
    Options
    .....Also, my tiler PVA'd a freshly plastered wall last week prior to tiling when the plaster was barely dry (4 days old) - will this cause any problems in the future?
    You might not have a problem, or your tiles may fall off the wall within months :eek:
    Can't say; but I can suggest you read this:
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/tiling/diy_Tiling_Why_not_to_use_pva.htm
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the cheapo B and Q value type emulsion ok for the first coat ? Is there still need to water it down as it so watery anyhow?

Also, someone told me to paint the new plaster with wallpaper paste first, any views on this?

Thanks
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bestyman wrote: »
    Is the cheapo B and Q value type emulsion ok for the first coat ? Is there still need to water it down as it so watery anyhow?

Also, someone told me to paint the new plaster with wallpaper paste first, any views on this?

Thanks

My friend is a plasterer and did some patch up work for me.

He said to use 50% paint, 50% water mix for first coat, regardless of quality of the paint (yes, any emulsion is fine, even cheap stuff, in fact cheap stuff is better as, well, cheaper!).

The reason for watering down is that plaster is exceptionally absorbent. If you put a paintbrush with thick paint on it, it'll literally stick. Thin liquid goes on far easier. You'd also use a tonne of paint if you didn't water it down, because it doesn't spread. This costs more, plus the finish might not be so good.

Took his advice and the finish came out great. I found I needed two coats on top of the water/paint coat, but it depends how much of a contrast your colour is to the plaster colour.

He's never mentioned using wallpaper paste. I assume the theory is similar to PVA. I can't imagine paint would go over it well.....
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    bestyman wrote: »

Thanks

Grrrrrr!!!!!
    The person who told you to apply wallpaper paste should be shot.:mad:

Think about it, you say for example strip existing wall paper off your lounge, as you now just want painted walls.
    You strip the paper off, give it a quick sand down, then wash the all the walls with a solution of sugar soap, then rinse, do your prep etc.
    Your walls are ready to paint now.

If you strip your walls, and dont wash the paste residue off, when you come to paint the walls, the paste will contaminate the paint, and really mess up your paint.

The only time you apply paste on the walls, is if your sizing the walls the day before prior to papering.

BTW, even though its a cheapo B&Q paint, still thin for your mistcoat, hopefully you will be using a matt for your mistcoat.:D
  • adammcd02
    Options
    Help, i've read so many conflicting answers my head is in a spin.

We recently got our entire new flat plastered and have sealed it using B&Q emulsion. Now we're ready to paint the walls and the ceilings. I have bought Dulux matt emulsion for the ceilings which i believe will be fine. We have bought Dulux Vinyl Silk for the walls. I think it's actually called 'luxurious' silk. Will this be ok to use on my new walls? We paid alot of money for the plaster work and i really don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
  • jason_s_2
    jason_s_2 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, your be ok,as long as you sealed them with watered down matt emulsion, the paint you have will be fine
  • dryan
    dryan Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Advice from three different plasterers - they all suggested watering down first; water down then add 2 coats wont do any harm but not watering down always bubbles - not worth it. Leave for 2 weeks.
  • Bungarm2001
    Options
    NEVER PVA fresh plastered walls...!! :mad:

I can't tell you how many problems this can cause in the long run. Believe me, speaking from bitter experience here...in a house we own, not us but some burke PVA'd all the newly plastered walls AND I swear it wasn't watered down either. :eek: We had soooo many problems with decorating, dampness, peeling you name it, I had nightmares for weeks.

Wait until the walls are a very light pink, then paint (or better still, spray..) with a 50/50 mix of the cheapest carp emulsion you can buy, twice. Then use vinyl or whatever paint you like.

Failing that, if you want to get it done faster, you can paint over with eggshell paint, the stuff that does not contain any vinyl at all, and the walls will still be able to 'breathe' and dry out.

PVA?? Pah!! I bluddy hate the stuff..it has it's uses yes, but so many people mis-use it, like silicon...which I also hate...or is it just the people who use silicon to fill the gaps between skirtings and walls who I hate?? :mad:

Sorry...went on a bit of a rant there.....:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport