New Santander Student Current Account - upgrade from existing Santander sudent acc?

jimjon
jimjon Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 27 June 2013 at 12:06PM in Student MoneySaving
Hi all

I have the 'old' Santander student current account from 2 years ago (entering 3rd and final year in September), which gave a tiered overdraft and gadget insurance (not bothered about this).

Santander's new student current account offering has a higher overdraft than mine will be and, more importantly, a 4 year railcard. Their site says it is available to "new and existing students".

But as an existing Santander Student current account holder, will I be able to upgrade to this new/better offering?

I couldn't find the answer on their site but the details of the new product is in the latest MSE newsletter (I can't post links yet - newbie!)

Thanks

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Should be able to.

I have the 123 account and was told in branch that I'd be able to open a student account as well, so you should be able to get it be that though upgrade or closing/opening accounts. If you can trust the branch staff of course!
  • jimjon
    edited 27 June 2013 at 6:05PM
    Herbalus wrote: »
    Should be able to.

I have the 123 account and was told in branch that I'd be able to open a student account as well, so you should be able to get it be that though upgrade or closing/opening accounts. If you can trust the branch staff of course!

Thanks - I will give it a try closer to when my own railcard is closer to expiry :)

Btw, do you mean you could have a student account in addition to the 123 current account, or would the student current account replace the 123 account?
  • The_Jakal
    The_Jakal Posts: 134
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jimjon wrote: »
    Thanks - I will give it a try closer to when my own railcard is closer to expiry :)

Btw, do you mean you could have a student account in addition to the 123 current account, or would the student current account replace the 123 account?

Please come back to this post to update us once you find the answer to your questions from Santander.

I'm interested to know the outcome. :)
  • ponbeam
    ponbeam Posts: 98 Forumite
    Existing student accounts are unable to change to the new account as they would have had an incentive in the year they were originally opened!
  • brendon
    brendon Posts: 514 Forumite
    Does the railcard last for exactly 4 years from now, or does it just mean 4 years from starting uni? I'm just about to enter my fourth year, but cheaper railfares until I'm 25 I'm sure would be beneficial...
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    brendon wrote: »
    Does the railcard last for exactly 4 years from now, or does it just mean 4 years from starting uni? I'm just about to enter my fourth year, but cheaper railfares until I'm 25 I'm sure would be beneficial...

It's a four year railcard. If they gave you a railcard for just this year it would be called a one year railcard.
  • jimjon
    I received a letter today saying that the Santander student account (from 2011) I have will have the insurance 'perk' removed in October this year. It looks as though they will transfer all previous students accounts to their current student account product - so I will be getting their railcard! :j

See details of changes and the 'alternative offer' (free railcard) in their letter below

http://www.santander-products.co.uk/accountchanges/STUDENT_LETTER.pdf

Hope this helps anyone who was in a similar position to me.
  • ponbeam wrote: »
    Existing student accounts are unable to change to the new account as they would have had an incentive in the year they were originally opened!
    You are automatically going to be switched over from my understanding as the 3 years free gadget insurance is being cancelled, also the overdraft goes down in year 3 so if your at the £2000 come September 2nd you will be £500 over your overdraught limit, we were miss sold this account as we were told it was a new overdraught for each year and the previous year would be frozen. I have done a separate post on this as I want to know if this happened to anyone else.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brendon wrote: »

the 16-25 railcard (young persons railcard) can still be purchased after you leave full time education as long as you can show proof of age under 25 :)
  • Hasty1991
    Hasty1991 Posts: 72
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    oldanddeaf wrote: »
    You are automatically going to be switched over from my understanding as the 3 years free gadget insurance is being cancelled, also the overdraft goes down in year 3 so if your at the £2000 come September 2nd you will be £500 over your overdraught limit, we were miss sold this account as we were told it was a new overdraught for each year and the previous year would be frozen. I have done a separate post on this as I want to know if this happened to anyone else.

Hi,

You won't be at £2000 in year three. You'd normally only reach £2000 if you were on a five year course.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport