PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a repossessed house

Options
My pregnant sister and her husband have sold their house as they need a bigger house, to a first time buyer-surveyor is coming on Tuesday. Also, her father is standing guarantor so can't foresee problems-though never say never!
My sister has seen a house which is up with an estate agent and has been repossessed. It is in an unkempt state, water, gas and electric turned off. The bank who owns it have turned down an offer of 151000 from another interested party. the house is up for 175000 which is the going rate of a house which is in good condition. My sis is going to offer maximum 160000-but has booked 2 builders to view it to advise as to cost of doing it up.
My query is, what are the experiences of others who have bought repossessions-is it a nightmare or an opportunity .
How long does all this take? The estate agents have said if her offer is accepted it needs to be completed in 28 days-why?

Comments

• david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have bought lots of repos. most go to auction, some are with agents and then go for auction if not sold. i have seen lots with agents asking silly money but the lender has to be seen trying to get as much as possible. i have never had any problems buying through an agent but its standard practice to exchange in 14-28 days. no sure why, properly the lenders request. i have had offers turned down with agents and then got it cheaper at auction!
  • brock-cruse
    brock-cruse Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    We are in exactly the same position. FTB buying ours and we are buying a repo. IS there anyone else interested in the repo. The bank took us right upto 5k below asking price but it was still worth it! Once we had sold they were pushing us to put in offer but i said i couldnt do the 28 day time constraint. The bank eventually said they would be relaxed about this so eventually got it all sorted. So long as things proceed fairly quickly and smoothly. However, our repo house had been on the market a while with only really low offers that were all refused. Think they are just glad that they have finally got rid of it!! We should have exchanged last Tues but we are still waiting searches and other minor issues. Fingers crossed though things are progressing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure