How to contact HMRC Default Dept @ Crownhill?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
3 replies 718 views
nonnatusnonnatus Forumite
1.5K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
Hi,

I run a small business and have done for a couple of years. I always pay my VAT quarterly, electronically. It always worked perfectly.

I paid the full amount required for quarter ended April 2013 at the end of May. The amount shows clearly as leaving my Bank account etc.

HMRC have sent me a letter saying they haven't received the payment and I'm in default and that I have to pay their "Guesstimate" which is just a little more than the actual amount I've already paid.

I was horrified and sent a letter back by return to the address in Crownhill that they supplied "if you disagree with this default". The letter detailed how and when I made payment and showed a photocopy of the bank statement proving the money left me, but in my panic I sent it normal First Class. I realised as I dropped it in the post box that I probably should have sent it recorded :(.

But there's no telephone number to call them to make sure the matter is resolved. I understand that they don't want people randomly phoning them and firing off abuse / excuses about non-payment of VAT but I'd like to re-assure myself that they got my letter at least. Does anyone have a phone number please?

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    nonnatus wrote: »
    Hi,

I run a small business and have done for a couple of years. I always pay my VAT quarterly, electronically. It always worked perfectly.

I paid the full amount required for quarter ended April 2013 at the end of May. The amount shows clearly as leaving my Bank account etc.

HMRC have sent me a letter saying they haven't received the payment and I'm in default and that I have to pay their "Guesstimate" which is just a little more than the actual amount I've already paid.

I was horrified and sent a letter back by return to the address in Crownhill that they supplied "if you disagree with this default". The letter detailed how and when I made payment and showed a photocopy of the bank statement proving the money left me, but in my panic I sent it normal First Class. I realised as I dropped it in the post box that I probably should have sent it recorded :(.

But there's no telephone number to call them to make sure the matter is resolved. I understand that they don't want people randomly phoning them and firing off abuse / excuses about non-payment of VAT but I'd like to re-assure myself that they got my letter at least. Does anyone have a phone number please?

You say you "understand that they don't want people randomly phoning them" so why not send another copy, but use recorded delivery this time?
  • nonnatusnonnatus Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Because I'm impatient! And I want someone to pat me on the head TODAY and tell me it's all sorted :o
  • JasonLVCJasonLVC Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to speak to Crownhill to get this sorted.

Have you tried the HMRC VAT helpline on 0300 200 3700?

If you have recevied a "guestimate" letter it suggests the VAT return has not been submitted.

If you have submitted the return but payment has gone astray then you should receive a letter detailing the VAT amount unpaid. If you say it is just a little over what you submitted, then this may well be an interest charge but it is unsuual for them to add interest at this stage as they usually wait for you to pay and then they can work out the interest (ie, no point adding interest today as they'll only add more tomorrow and so on until its paid). So it could be the VAt return hasn;t been recevied by HMRC for some reason and HMRC have just made a very good guestimate of what it should be.

If you log onto your VAT account at www.hmrc.gov.uk you should have full access to your VAT account and will show you what returns you've submitted, what payments were recevied and any interest or other charges added to your account. Tat should be your first port of call.

If the payment has gone astray (it is easy to make the payment but forget to add your VAT number as a reference), then HMRC canot link the payment to your account, hence the situation you are in. A call to the helpline should identify the missing payment and have it realloctaed to your account - although HMRC may insist you write in to confirm, so having done this already just a matter of waiting for the letter to catch up with relaity and be processed.

These things happen, everything should be fixed with a few phone calls and a bit of patience. make sure HMRC write and confirm the matter has been resolved and no surcharges have been added to your VAT account at the end of all this.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals