Bank/Building society charges

Options
Hi
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me.

I recently discovered that I have been charged bank charges for going over my over draft limit.

I do not receive paper statements and up until recently this has never been an issue.

I do receive an email once a month from the building society telling me that my statement is ready to view on line and since having my overdraft this has obviously included the line 'you have incurred charges this month' .

Previously (last year) when I went over my limit they sent me a statement in the post (presumably) so that I could see why I was being charged and how much, this time that has not happened so (thinking that I was only paying the small interest rate on the overdraft) I thought nothing of it. That was until I went to the cash point and for some reason (luckily I suppose) I hit the button for cash and a receipt only to see I was £400 over the overdraft limit.

Are they supposed to declare what they are charging me and why?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are they supposed to declare what they are charging me and why?

That is what the bank statement is for. Some of the charges may be immediate but others will be notified in advance and usually supplied with the statement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • SparklableJewellery
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to get at was, as I haven't received a bank statement in the post (as I had previously), do I have 'a leg to stand on' if I were to complain to them about the charges
  • BaxUk
    BaxUk Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to get at was, as I haven't received a bank statement in the post (as I had previously), do I have 'a leg to stand on' if I were to complain to them about the charges

If they have notified you via email and via your statement online, then they have done what is legally required. Could have tried a goodwill gesture if it was a small amount, but for £400, you're likely to have to pay it off.
  • SparklableJewellery
    Options
    Oh I intend on paying it off but I was wondering if there would be any chance of me reclaiming some of the fees they have charged me. I can only access my statement if my internet is working (which is rare these days with my rubbish system) and obviously I don't want to be using my bank details to log on at work.

Based on previous experience with them they had sent out a full statement showing me where I had gone over drawn and a full list of the charges I would be paying but I haven't had that this time round.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can only access my statement if my internet is working (which is rare these days with my rubbish system) and obviously I don't want to be using my bank details to log on at work.

May be an idea to move off an internet account and go paper again.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I intend on paying it off but I was wondering if there would be any chance of me reclaiming some of the fees they have charged me.
    Negative
    I can only access my statement if my internet is working (which is rare these days with my rubbish system) and obviously I don't want to be using my bank details to log on at work.
    Then why on earth did you opt for paperless statements? :huh:
    If you manage to receive an email, then you must have internet access :cool:
  • SparklableJewellery
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I have internet access at work but as I say I don't really want to be putting that kind of information onto a work network.

Our internet at home is usually reliable but they have been upgrading the wires for some time which has caused disruption meaning that our connection has been patchy at best
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Our internet at home is usually reliable but they have been upgrading the wires for some time which has caused disruption meaning that our connection has been patchy at best
    Unfortunately I can't see the bank taking any responsibility for your poor quality phone line.
  • SparklableJewellery
    Options
    Ok, I don't know why but I have never expressly said that I want money back (although that would be nice and IF I had had any chance someone here would have known) and I have never said that this is all Nationwide's fault. My question was as a result of what had happened what should and shouldn't they be doing?
    I have now spoken to them and they have apologised that this has happened and will be looking into it. They have explained the situation to me in full and I accept that explanation

Everyones happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport