Switched to save, now paying more!!

Options
Hi all,
At the end of last year I switched from nPower to Scottish Power on the advice of Martin's emails about fixed energy prices and the fact that the quoted estimated price (based on actual usage I provided to them, not estimated usage or simply nPower charges) was over £20 a month lower than nPower.

With nPower I was paying £101 a month and Scottish Power quoted me £78.59 with fixed prices to Jan 2014.

Anyway, by March Scottish Power hiked my prices to £104 a month which I was pretty stunned about given that I'd provided them actual usage when I was signing up and getting quoted, how had they managed to get my estimated bill so drastically wrong?

Now, three months later and having provided another meter reading, my bill has been hiked again, to £127!! Well over the £101 I was paying with nPower and almost £50 a month more than they originally quoted me!

I have not changed my habits since changing provider, I don't knowingly use any more power now than I did then, no appliances have changed so I really don't understand how this price is justifiable.

Is there anything I can do to try and get this hike overruled? I feel completely mislead and cheated by Scottish Power. As I say, when getting a quote I provided them my actual unit usage from nPower so for them to up my prices by £50 in just 6 months feels like a complete con.

Thanks for any advice, I won't be using Scottish Power again!!!

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    At the end of last year I switched from nPower to Scottish Power on the advice of Martin's emails about fixed energy prices and the fact that the quoted estimated price (based on actual usage I provided to them, not estimated usage or simply nPower charges) was over £20 a month lower than nPower.

With nPower I was paying £101 a month and Scottish Power quoted me £78.59 with fixed prices to Jan 2014.

Anyway, by March Scottish Power hiked my prices to £104 a month which I was pretty stunned about given that I'd provided them actual usage when I was signing up and getting quoted, how had they managed to get my estimated bill so drastically wrong?

Now, three months later and having provided another meter reading, my bill has been hiked again, to £127!! Well over the £101 I was paying with nPower and almost £50 a month more than they originally quoted me!

I have not changed my habits since changing provider, I don't knowingly use any more power now than I did then, no appliances have changed so I really don't understand how this price is justifiable.

Is there anything I can do to try and get this hike overruled? I feel completely mislead and cheated by Scottish Power. As I say, when getting a quote I provided them my actual unit usage from nPower so for them to up my prices by £50 in just 6 months feels like a complete con.

Thanks for any advice, I won't be using Scottish Power again!!!

Scottish Power set their monthly direct debit figures initally at 1/12th the annual cost based on the usage you declared.

Sounds like you are using more than you declared.

The more you use, the more you pay - and that applies with all suppliers :)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Because you have been with SP for only one cycle you will not be able to view the year~on~year consumption graph. It is as Wywth said very unlikely anyone in the UK had the same consumption [kWh] during the 13-14 winter & spring as they did in the previous 11-12 winter. The winter just ended was the coldest since 63 [and that 63 winter was the coldest for more than 200 years].
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are you sending them regular meter readings - hopefully you should be able to show them that your summer use is significanly less than your winter usage and will average out over the 12 months. However as said above you've probably used a lot more energy over the winter which has been ever so cold and prolonged. We've managed to use about 10% more this winter than we did in either of the last two years, so I expect to have to pay more - in fact I've calculated that it should be about £88 more than my original estimate.

If you don't record your useage in Kw then you wont know what's going on and wont be able to challenge them
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    remember that winter this year went well into spring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business