MSE Blog: Cutting the cost of Glastonbury – my MoneySaving festival tips

Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:

Cutting the cost of Glastonbury – my MoneySaving festival tips

"This weekend sees 180,000 hardy souls - including myself - descend on a Somerset farm for the UK's biggest music festival..."

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Be aware, many festivals have either financial or just straight licensing reasons why you cannot take your own booze on site.

Don't even take valuables - cars get broken into, tents get robbed, so time to get your oldest phone back into service and leave the technological marvel at home

There are often fire restrictions applying to barbecues and even gas stoves. Cheap tents burn like nothing else on earth, and fire spreads in a heartbeat. You may be forbidden from open fire on licensing grounds.

£8 tent from the article is going to be crap, and end up being useless in any serious rain, probably rip in the wind, and end up as one of the massive pile of abandoned tents at your festival site. Seeing the state festivalgoers leave the site in is nothing short of disgusting. Take a better tent, and take it home again with you. Seriously, seeing tens of thousands of abandoned £8 crappy tents being bulldozed into skips for landfill is a depressing sight.
  • courteen
    courteen Posts: 48 Forumite
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Be aware, many festivals have either financial or just straight licensing reasons why you cannot take your own booze on site.

Don't even take valuables - cars get broken into, tents get robbed, so time to get your oldest phone back into service and leave the technological marvel at home

There are often fire restrictions applying to barbecues and even gas stoves. Cheap tents burn like nothing else on earth, and fire spreads in a heartbeat. You may be forbidden from open fire on licensing grounds.

£8 tent from the article is going to be crap, and end up being useless in any serious rain, probably rip in the wind, and end up as one of the massive pile of abandoned tents at your festival site. Seeing the state festivalgoers leave the site in is nothing short of disgusting. Take a better tent, and take it home again with you. Seriously, seeing tens of thousands of abandoned £8 crappy tents being bulldozed into skips for landfill is a depressing sight.

Wouldn't be too disheartened by the left over tents if I were you. Last time I went the Scouts were going around checking them over for decent tents they could give a clean up and use for camping trips. Also if anyone fancies setting up a 2nd hand tent shop on eBay or something I'd recommend crawling the campsite at the end of the festival and taking what you can!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    courteen wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too disheartened by the left over tents if I were you. Last time I went the Scouts were going around checking them over for decent tents they could give a clean up and use for camping trips. Also if anyone fancies setting up a 2nd hand tent shop on eBay or something I'd recommend crawling the campsite at the end of the festival and taking what you can!

Heh heh - good, glad to hear it - however when you're talking 10,000+ tents abandoned there's little a handful of scouts will be able to do but make a minor dent...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure