Liability for CGT

Options
Hi, Hope someone bright out there can assist.

Wife has a property in her name (she is not on our main home mortgage) that she bought in 2002 and that my mother lived in rent free until she died recently. Now selling the property but can anyone advise whether we are liable to CGT. Bought house for approx half of market value from another relative who didnt want to look after her.

regards

Comments

• Bean_Counter
    Bean_Counter Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More than likely yes. Difficult to say definitively without figures to go on.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • DumbAss_2
    DumbAss_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Property bought got £75k in Jan 02, selling for £160k now.

Does it not make any difference that our main home is solely in my name and the other one solely in my wife's?
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    Has your wife ever lived in the property that you are going to sell? Did you get married in 2002 or later?

Reason I ask is that as a husband and wife, as far as I am aware, you can only have one residence elected as your main residence for CGT relief purposes. The names on the mortgage are irrelevant.
  • DumbAss_2
    Options
    She has not lived in it but mortgage details have always been send to that address - is there a way of using this to our advantage? We married in early 90's.

Could we nominate her property as our main one so as not to have to pay CGT now but at the point at which we sell our main home?
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    DumbAss wrote: »
    Could we nominate her property as our main one so as not to have to pay CGT now but at the point at which we sell our main home?

I think not, as you would have to have made the nomination within two years of the date that you had the combination of residences.

You are entitled to the standard taper relief (15% of the gain I think), plus your annual CGT allowance of £9,200 for this year against the computed gain.
  • DumbAss_2
    Options
    cheers for your help
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i think (but alas am not sure) that for CGT purposes its the market value that counts ... usually of course this is the purchase price but as i understand you her purchase price was not the actual value at the time.. might be worth getting some advice.. can try phoning the HMRC .. you dont have to give your name.

also she can transfer half the house to you and then you can both use your CGT allowances
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    After 5 years of ownership, CGT relief would be 20%.

Having lived in it would have helped the CGT bill massively. Without living in it you are a bit stuck as a married couple can have only one PPR.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure