pension credit

Options
norfolkshops
norfolkshops Posts: 353 Forumite
i am 61 and my wife is 61 in september of this year.

Now i am told to make a claim for pension credit over the phone on the 1st july,telling me i will be intites to this benifit as from 6th nov 2013.

we have no saings and living in a housing !!! ouse,were we pay rent(reason bedroom tax 2 spare rooms)

therefore i would like to know do i have to payment bedroom tax and council tax from 6th nov 2013,many thanks in advance tc

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    The "bedroom tax" is an inaccurate name used by the newspapers. You don't "pay" this tax.
    If you are claiming housing benefit, the amount that you can claim is decided by your council taking into account your circumstances. The principle is that a single person can't claim housing benefit for a 4 bedroom house (for example).
    If there is just you & your wife, and you are entitled to housing benefit, you will only be able to claim the amount for a 1 bedroom dwelling. You can of course, stay in a larger place if you have a means of topping this up.

Councils are supposed to take into account individual circumstances such as a child who lives away some of the time (armed forces, university etc) or a couple who sleep separately because of disabilities etc.

There is more information on the gov.uk website, or if you need to discuss it, I would contact your Housing Association.
  • norfolkshops
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    The "bedroom tax" is an inaccurate name used by the newspapers. You don't "pay" this tax.
    If you are claiming housing benefit, the amount that you can claim is decided by your council taking into account your circumstances. The principle is that a single person can't claim housing benefit for a 4 bedroom house (for example).
    If there is just you & your wife, and you are entitled to housing benefit, you will only be able to claim the amount for a 1 bedroom dwelling. You can of course, stay in a larger place if you have a means of topping this up.

Councils are supposed to take into account individual circumstances such as a child who lives away some of the time (armed forces, university etc) or a couple who sleep separately because of disabilities etc.

There is more information on the gov.uk website, or if you need to discuss it, I would contact your Housing Association.

thank you i know this but i was wondering will we have to pay bedroom tax and council tax in nov 2013 when we will be recieve pension credit
  • norfolkshops
    Options
    There is more information on the gov.uk website, or if you need to discuss it, I would contact your Housing Association

i will cheers tc
  • Bigmoney2
    Bigmoney2 Posts: 640 Forumite
    Options
    If you are receiving pension credit you should be able to claim help with council tax.

It used to be called council tax benefit but now the help available varies depending on your particular council.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    So-called 'bedroom tax' is not something that you pay. Jackyann explained it very well above.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • norfolkshops
    Options
    So-called 'bedroom tax' is not something that you pay. Jackyann explained it very well above.

surely its something you have to pay out of your benifit
    ????
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    ????

Please read what Jackyann wrote in post # 2. I can't explain it any more clearly than that.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    ????

No, it's a reduction of benefit meaning that the amount you are eligible to pay will be more.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • norfolkshops
    Options
    ok i will see it another way,goverment bedroom tax,even if you cant downsize why should we pay
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't pay it, you get benefits reduced as you are taking up larger housing/more space than is required by your family unit.

So, apply for a smaller place if you want to have full HB. I am sure you can downsize as I am sure there are families in your area that need larger housing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure