Why are all new front doors £700

Options
Had a few quotes for a new door (PVC) and they all come to about the same including fitting. Is there no competition in this sector? This is from independent suppliers and local door/window companies, not the big brands.

Also looked into more attractive composite doors and they all seem to come out to about £1000.

For that sort of money I would expect to pay a carpenter to make my a door from scratch to my design and fit it. Do those skills still exist?

Comments

• NVRAM
    NVRAM Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    I was told last week by Warmseal they were doing composites for £690 (white) or +£20 for a colour until the end of June. It's a limited selection and none fo the ones with the leaded glass panels were included.

Sounds a decent price for composite installed tho
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a door from these last year for less than £500.

Just had a new door fitted by a local firm for slightly less. For my front door they're just replacing the panel - £130 :)

The same local company has replaced a lot of doors locally. Most were £350.
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    When you got your quotes did you ask them to break it down into the various parts (door, lock, frame, labour)? You can then make a judgement about the price they are charging you for the door and what they have included for labour. You can buy decent quality external doors from about £350 online. But it depends on the material, look and locking system you need. High quality doors with integrated, high security locking systems are expensive bits of kit.

Also the work involved in fitting them varies. If you are just slotting a new door into an existing frame it should not take long (hours) but if you need to replace the frames and potentially drill holes for extra locking bars then it can more time and involved more work.

I don't think £700 sounds excessive given the high price of the actual door.
  • welshtrekker
    Options
    Oh crap, just read the post. I am waiting for a quote on a door, replacement composite door. friend in Newcastle advised a firm, priorywindows.uk.com/front-doors-entrance-doors-newcastle-upon-tyne.html and i spoke to him earlier and he said it would be nothing like £700... And I hope he is right.
  • NVRAM
    NVRAM Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    If yer looking North East also have a chat with the lads at Finlay windows in whickham.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 June 2013 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Actually it's another gripe that every door company sells identikit doors. It seems the British taste is incredibly old fashioned and tradtional. All shaped glass panels and stained glass. I really want something more contemporary....and that means paying even more - something like this is very hard to find at a reasonable price here:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/3795188/Durabella-Custom-Design-Doors-contemporary-front-doors-other-metro
  • hamster2013
    hamster2013 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    i just got a uPVC front door with multilock and a uPVC double glazed window (around 80cm width by 120cm height... strenthened and faded so that cant see from outside) installed for £750 for both - £550 for door installed and £200 for window - by local builder in north west london area

getting quotes randomly from google search companies and the top 10 of the yellow pages were all between £1000 and £1700 for both door and window.
  • robatwork
    Options
    hamster were you happy with the builder? I am not a million miles from nw london so if so please PM me, thanks
  • hamster2013
    hamster2013 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    yea very happy
    i am near wembley, so if you are in the region, the guy can probably fit you in.
    I can pass you his details if you want to call him and get him over for a quote.
  • robatwork
    Options
    Can you let me have his details in a private msg please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts