We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Must fell tree for safety purposes - can I get help with cost?

Biggles
Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
I have a superb 50ft/15m copper beech just a few feet from the main road into town.

Unfortunately, some decades ago, a limb was removed badly and rot has got deep into the cavity.

I've paid out (as my tree surgeon advised) for an ultrasound scan, which showed that the tree is unsafe and will have to be felled.

Now, the quotes for this come in at somewhere near £700 - and that's without considering the possibility that the road will have to be closed! I can't see that my household insurance covers this eventuality and the district council don't seem to be interested in helping, is there any way I can get assistance with the costs, or is it just one of the things that comes with ownership of a tree like this?

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Excuse me for just bumping this up, after clarifying the title.
  • JohnDobson
    JohnDobson Posts: 8 Forumite
    The tree surgeon I have used in the past cost £600 a day for 2 people so sounds about right to me.
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £700 for chopping down a tree! I'm in the wrong job!
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    chika wrote: »
    £700 for chopping down a tree! I'm in the wrong job!
    Not when you see what insurances are involved for such work!

Davw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport