MBNA Card Advice Please. 2 new cards received

Options
Sarinee
Sarinee Posts: 52 Forumite
edited 21 June 2013 at 2:10PM in Credit cards
I have had one for a few years think it was something else and changed to MBNA. I received two cards in the post the other day, one American Express card and another card with a different account number on to my existing card.

I rang them up and after 20 mins or so someone answered but I did'nt really get the answers I wanted. they said my account had been upgraded. I said I was quite happy with the card I had which does'nt run out until next year and did'nt want another account number anyhow. The bloke said he would downgrade me and put me on hold and then came back and said I would receive another card within 28 days with a new account number on it.

Does anyone know what is going on here ?. Is it good or bad ?.

Someone told me its not everyone who accepts American Express not that I intend to use it. (or should I ? )

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is usually down to them transferring you to the reward scheme, whee you get points to get free goods
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You get two cards (one American Express and one Visa) but even though they have different card numbers, they are linked to the same account and have the same PIN. For example, if you spent £250 on the Visa and £250 on the Amex, you would still only get one statement for £500.

The reason for this is so that yo can use the Amex card in places that accept Amex (most places do nowadays) because you will earn more points using that card. For the places that don't accept Amex you can use the Visa (but you don't get so many points with that card).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure