Gas Payment Increase Too High!

Would like to know your opinons on this one.

Having just checked my bank statements, I saw that I had made three monthly payments to British Gas of £56.
I was totally shocked, as I wasn't aware of asking them to increase payments in Feb, March or April 2007. When I phoned to enquire why they had increase the monthly direct debit payments to £56, I was told, due to the September 2006 price increase that is why they had increased my payments to cover the balance - of which, because of the increase in cost, had brought me in debt with them.

I was really enoyed, as I wasn't even at home during the January, as I was away from home.

Can they do this? British Gas did warn of price increases, but never made clear how much increase this would be. I feel sooooo angry about the price increases they placed on me, and warned them to lower them or i would walk. They immediately lowered the monthly payments.

Thanks
C

Comments

• jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Didn't you get a letter telling you that your monthly payment was going up? I'm pretty sure they have to let you know before they do it.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It would probably have said on your bill the payments were going to be increased. Any company can take as much money out your account as they want whenever they want provided they give you notice. I expect they reduced the payments simply because the amount you owe them has decreased combined with the price decrease. The computer would probably have done the same thing itself eventually anyway.
  • Hiya,

Well, I've been through all my letters and bills and there is nothing to say of the price increase. I've just phoned the call centre and I seem to be going around in circles with the girl telling me it will be ok because every 12 months they review my payment plan!
    I asked her to look and tell me if I was sent anything and she couldn't tell.

She then starting telling me maybe the direct debit wasn't the best scheme for me and I should try a card payment....

I am seriously thinking of running, never mind walking.

I wish they would re-educate all call centre staff to talk bloody english and not reel off loads of British Gas jargon and sales talk. I hate them.

got that off my chest!
    C
  • emmie1234
    emmie1234 Posts: 237
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya, I used to pay my gas bill by direct debit (british gas) Last month I had to cancel the direct debit as hubby is out of work and I wanted a payment card that I could use at the post office etc every week instead of paying monthly DD. I gave them my meter reading and was told to call back in a couple of days after my account had been updated to reflect the meter reading. I have gone from paying a direct debit of £23 per month to having to pay £42 per fortnight on the payment card. My actual reading was waaaayyyyy higher than their estimate!!!! We will probably struggle to pay this, but we will. The only other option is to have a prepayment meter installed which will cost more no doubt due to the standing charge they add on top. Once this bill has been paid off, I'm going to shop around for the cheapest one.
    Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol :j

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family