New Post Advanced Search

You and Your MP

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Campaigns Corner
UKParliamentUKParliament Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
746 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Campaigns Corner
The UK is divided into 650 different regions called ‘constituencies’ where the public elect candidates to be their MP.

MPs have public contact details so their constituents can get in touch. In most cases you can write, phone, fax or email. MPs will generally only act on behalf of their own constituents, so please check you are contacting the MP who represents your constituency.

To check who your MP is please go to: Find Your MP

(All you need is your postcode to find out who your MP is)

To contact your MP there are many different techniques including:

Calling with a simple question might get a faster response than writing. Phone the House of Commons switchboard on 020 7219 3000 and ask for your MP by name. If you do not know their name then phone the House of Commons Information Office on 020 7219 4272.

You may also contact your MP through their local constituency office. Addresses and contact numbers will be listed in local libraries, town halls, an MP's personal website or through the House of Commons Information Office.

By letter
When writing to any MP the address to use is: House of Commons London SW1A 0AA. A letter allows you to explain yourself more clearly and in detail and the MP will have a record of your problem.

The majority of MPs now have email addresses that you can write to. Our directory of MPs lists all available addresses: Directory of MPs

There is no general fax number for the House of Commons or listing of MP's fax numbers - please telephone the MP's office first if you need to send a fax.

Need a government minister?
If you wish to contact a government minister in connection to their ministerial responsibilities please use the contact facilities on their departmental website. Check our directory of government ministers and their departments.
More Contact Details for Government Ministers
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to [email protected]. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support