Cancelling Lottery Subscription?

Options
I'm trying to cancel my lottery subscription as I'm not willing to continue paying it when it goes up to £2 in the autumn. I pay around £18 a month for two lines on a Tuesday and two on a Saturday and I'm definitely not going to pay £36 a month!

Anyway I logged in to my account and clicked on the cancel button and the message I got was "You have an outstanding direct debit so you cannot close your account".

My direct debit is continuous so will I have to go to the bank and stop the debit? It's looking like that's the only way to close the lottery account.:(

Comments

• reeree
    reeree Posts: 935 Forumite
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I'm trying to cancel my lottery subscription as I'm not willing to continue paying it when it goes up to £2 in the autumn. I pay around £18 a month for two lines on a Tuesday and two on a Saturday and I'm definitely not going to pay £36 a month!

Anyway I logged in to my account and clicked on the cancel button and the message I got was "You have an outstanding direct debit so you cannot close your account".

My direct debit is continuous so will I have to go to the bank and stop the debit? It's looking like that's the only way to close the lottery account.:(
    l had the same problem with nowtv, had to phone the bank and they cancelled it from their end the bank also returned the money they managed to take out of my account
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

does it mean you have a payment due to come out?
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm trying to cancel my lottery subscription. Anyway I logged in to my account and clicked on the cancel button and the message I got was "You have an outstanding direct debit so you cannot close your account".

Completely agree with your sentiment, I reckon they will lose a lot of custom through doubling price to £2.

You have a direct debit. The only way I know of cancelling a direct debit is through your bank. If you have online access to your bank account you could cancel it that way. If not you will have to call into your bank to cancel it.
  • lolavix
    lolavix Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    The direct debit does need to be cancelled through the lottery. Cancelling it through the bank does not end the agreement you had with the lottery and they will still be able to claim it.
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried to call them?

I had an issue when attempted to cancel online a few months ago and gave them a ring and they sorted out the problem on their end.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    lolavix wrote: »
    The direct debit does need to be cancelled through the lottery. Cancelling it through the bank does not end the agreement you had with the lottery and they will still be able to claim it.

Dont think that's right. It's your money and it's your bank. They cannot claim it, if you cancel it.

Unless the OP has a contract to buy a minimum number of tickets per annum, there is no way the lottery can claim any money is 'owed'.
  • novagirl
    novagirl Posts: 1,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's best to cancel the direct debit both with the originator and your bank.
  • JemmaM91
    JemmaM91 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Is your direct debit due within the next 7 days?

I find that I cannot cancel direct debits with company's within that 7 day period.

Try cancelling again 2-3 days after you've paid by direct debit just to be sure they've received the money.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The next payment due out is 2nd July. I can't get through on the phone as it's always engaged, or I'm on hold for ages before giving up.

I'll go round to the bank tomorrow but it's just not possible to cancel the lottery subscription online. I keep getting the message that I cannot close my account as I have a direct debit outstanding.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NAR wrote: »
    Completely agree with your sentiment, I reckon they will lose a lot of custom through doubling price to £2.

I guess it depends if over half their customers cancel!!

I'd imagine they've worked out that more than 50% of ticket purchasers will carry on...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure