I need some Legoland tips!

Options
Tried to go to Legoland yesterday and the queues from the M4 were horrendous so we gave up - not too much of a problem as we only live 40 mins away and we just went somewhere else.

However, eldest daughter is desperate to go this week, so we thought we might try and get there early and plan a military attack on the place so we avoid the queues on the popular rides and get out by mid-afternoon.

Anyone got any tips for the best approach? Can you buy tickets on the gate before the park officially opens at 10 (don't want to pre-book as I have some free kids' vouchers)? Can you go in and queue before the rides actually begin operating? Is there any point getting there early and what's the best time to get there?

Any help appreciated. Hoping to go tomorrow (Thursday) with a bit of luck.

Comments

• louidog
    louidog Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    I think if you look on expeida (I hope thats where my friend gets hers from!) you can get adult tickets for the price of childrens tickets.

I went a few weeks ago and my plan was to head for the furthest point from the entry gate and work our way back. Look for the biggest attractions and try to get to them earlier in the day rather than later!

I arrived at 9.15 and didn't sit down again until I got in the car to drive home again at 6.15. Boy did my back hurt the next day! Have fun :)
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IF you collect Nectar points these can be converted to tickets for Legoland
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • finnis
    finnis Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both. Went yesterday and arrived at the park at about 8.30 am. Stupidly early but we were second in the queue. Gates opened at about 9.05, ticket booths at 9.15 and turnstiles at 9.30. No entry to the park itself until 10am prompt. Got on all the top rides a couple of times each by about 11.30, but then things slowed down somewhat and the queues grew steadily longer. Had lunch and went home about 3. Would definitely do the same again - last time we went to Legoland we had to wait an hour to get on the log flume - yesterday we did it twice by 10.20.

And we were allowed to use two Walls vouchers at the entrance, so both our kids got in free. Voucher says one per household, but we had no problems.

Glad we didn't persevere with Tuesday's trip - they had 12,000 through the gates and rides took an hour and 20 mins to get on.
  • woofwoofwoof
    woofwoofwoof Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    We are going to Legoland on Monday 9th July. Will the schools in England have broken up for summer by then - ie will it be really busy or can we leave it a bit later than finnis did to get there. We will be driving from Henley on Thames, we're doing a caravan tour of the South of England (caravan staying at the site though!) Is the traffic really bad at that time of the morning as well?
    :hello:
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    Kids'll still be at school then so you should be ok...unless there are school parties going!
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
  • louidog
    louidog Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    We are going to Legoland on Monday 9th July. Will the schools in England have broken up for summer by then - ie will it be really busy or can we leave it a bit later than finnis did to get there. We will be driving from Henley on Thames, we're doing a caravan tour of the South of England (caravan staying at the site though!) Is the traffic really bad at that time of the morning as well?

It would seem that most schools in England have been on half term this last week so you should be safe! Beware though....some schools do have an INSET day Monday (I go back to school Monday but son is on INSET!) so there may be some school children on the loose!
    Have a good day! :D
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
  • woofwoofwoof
    woofwoofwoof Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the information - we were at Blackpool Pleasure Beach on Easter Saturday and the queues for the rides were horrendous. DS (7) doesn't like lining up for too long (neither do we, come to think of it!). The old Tesco vouchers come in handy for these day trips - I didn't realise how expensive it was to get into some of the places.
    :hello:
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you go to Legoland, get there early and DON'T pay for the priority parking (£5 I think) as you only park about 200 yards closer to the park. There's a restaurant, a couple of shops and some displays near the entrance so take some time to fill up the bellies and have a pee pee before you get let in. Don't take the train down - it's faster to walk. If it's hot and sunny take swimsuits, towels and a change of clothes for the nippers so they can cool down in the splash park area. The faster rides often don't open until 30mins to one hour after the park has opened so look elsewhere.
    The man without a signature.
  • Lemmy_Caution
    Options
    Try to avoid stepping on any loose bricks, especially if you are bare-footed: that can really hurt!
    Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. - Proust
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure