Options
124»

Comments

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happi wrote: »
    Oh and congratulations on managing to pay on the 1st, sadly my cat needed a visit to the vet so he took priority :cool: next month i will try to be timely.

My dog is unwell, she is at the vets on Friday and it will cost approx £200 because shes getting on and we want a full MOT done to make sure her organs are ok, she is a rescue dog and when we got her her organs were not working properly due to abuse, its very easy to miss organ failure early in pets (and humans, my husbands kidney failure was only diagnosed when he collapsed) and we want to make sure that she dosnt suffer as she went through enough when she was young.

My council tax will still be payed on the first of every month though because as has been mentioned its a prority debt and Ive heard Durham are hard on people who dont pay on time, they lose the right to pay monthly.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    iy is a priority debt and luckily you are obviously in a position to pay both ( because you said you will pay the council tax and ALSO take the dog to the vet)
    what if it was a one or the other situation?
    would you let your dog suffer or pay the council tax a week late?
  • sunnyone
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    iy is a priority debt and luckily you are obviously in a position to pay both ( because you said you will pay the council tax and ALSO take the dog to the vet)
    what if it was a one or the other situation?
    would you let your dog suffer or pay the council tax a week late?

Im a responsible pet owner so I have contingency funds to pay for the vet, she was insured but as she got older the premiums rocketed so we decided to put the exisiting premiums away for future vet bills, there is a long thread in DT on this subject.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    some people are responsible, but their situations change ( lose jobs, become ill)
    the pet as a living being should surely take priority over council tax being a week late in an emergency?
  • skintmacflint
    skintmacflint Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Im a responsible pet owner so I have contingency funds to pay for the vet, she was insured but as she got older the premiums rocketed so we decided to put the exisiting premiums away for future vet bills, there is a long thread in DT on this subject.

Considered doing this with our old boy who's 10. His insurance is £55 per month and wondering how much next year's will be. Hope she passes her MOT with flying colours.
  • skintmacflint
    Options
    some people are responsible, but their situations change ( lose jobs, become ill)
    the pet as a living being should surely take priority over council tax being a week late in an emergency?

From reading this thread, don't think Sunnyone's pet need have any worries . Pretty obvious it's a top priority in the family..
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    harrys_dad wrote: »
    You are blaming the wrong people. There was a perfectly good national system for CouncilTax Benefit until the Government chose to devolve it to Local Authorities, oh but devolved £500 million a year short, Local Authorities are now between a rock and a hard place, either they charge those who cannot afford it 20% +(not including pensioners because they all vote) or they charge everyone else a bit more, which they are not allowed to do, or they cut services even further. Any way is unfair.
    :( Too right.

The new rules mean that central govt cut the money paid to each local authority for council tax benefit back to 90% of what it was last year. It told them that they cannot cut back council tax assistance to pensioners at all, and they are charged to protect the vulnerable from paying towards their council tax. But central govt copped-out on defining who is to be termed vulnerable, so each local authority has to make their own policy.

And, no matter how carefully you cut a smaller cake, some people will get less and feel that they are ill-treated. Blame your MPs, people, not your local authority.

OP, I'd second going to the CAB to see if there is a charitable organisation which you can apply to. If you can get to a library, you should find a telephone-size book in the reference section which is a list of all the charitable organisations in the country. I cannot recall its title but a librarian will find it easily.

Some of the charities are centuries old and others are very tightly-focussed on people who are/were/have family links to a certain trade/ profession/ military service/ whatever, so think hard about your family background to see if you can meet some of the criteria.

Best of luck!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • sunnyone
    Options

We have had more changes of situation than most people, my accident, loseing my career, my husband collapsing and losesing his career etc. and you have to make provisons for disasters.

Everyone should have an emergency fund, Martin advises that you have three months wages put by but I think that you should save as much as possible so that you can survive a crisis because when these happen the last thing you need is to worry about money.
  • sunnyone
    Options
    Considered doing this with our old boy who's 10. His insurance is £55 per month and wondering how much next year's will be. Hope she passes her MOT with flying colours.

Its horrendous how much the insurance rises too skintmacflint, we started paying £9 per month when we got her @1 1/2 to 2 years of age and like your's it went up to over £50 per month when she hit 10, we have claimed once when she was 4 ish for a subeasious (sp) cyst removal and we got £80 or so refunded so we paid in for over 8 years claim free and yet the premiums still went through the roof so we decided to save the money up for vets bills instead but it is a gamble.

Im worried about my dog, she has scarred eyes from untreated ulcers that she had before she was rescued and the only treatment is drops twice per day but the dog is so nervous we cant administer the drops without her having a breakdown, she reverts to the scared, shaking nervous wreck who cant eat, who loses her fur, is incontinant due to the stress etc. that she was when we got her and we just cant do it to her, its heart breaking and the vet decided it wasnt worth treating her eyes since they dont seem to be giving her much discomfort though she does seem to be having sight problems as she is banging her head occasionally.
  • skintmacflint
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »

Im worried about my dog, she has scarred eyes from untreated ulcers that she had before she was rescued and the only treatment is drops twice per day but the dog is so nervous we cant administer the drops without her having a breakdown, she reverts to the scared, shaking nervous wreck who cant eat, who loses her fur, is incontinant due to the stress etc. that she was when we got her and we just cant do it to her, its heart breaking and the vet decided it wasnt worth treating her eyes since they dont seem to be giving her much discomfort though she does seem to be having sight problems as she is banging her head occasionally.

Sister had a similar problem with a rescue cat. Sometimes you can only do what you can, due to their previous experience. Because they change back into being fearful and nervous again very quickly.

We keep our fingers crossed our wee fellow won't ever need much medical interference. Last time he had a wound, vet had to knock him out each time it needed redressed. Even the missus couldn't get near it, and he's like her shadow.

Hope things work out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport