PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Loaf Tin sizing help

Options

Comments

• salster
    salster Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I too have been looking for larger bread tins but thanks to you all on here I've just bought one.

So when it comes over the next couple of weeks or so I can make a proper sized loaf. Weightwatchers will be having a day off for that one. :D

Thanks all. :beer:
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013 :D
  • blackvelvetshoes
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results:D

thank you so much for taking the time to post that,it's really kind of you. I look forward to trying that out once I can get hold of some fresh yeast. I live in a remote area and can only get dried sachets for breadmakers until I can go and do my monthly supermarket shop :D
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Fresh yeast is best (well i think so) but you can use dried yeast if that is what you have for now...

mix 1 sachet of yeast into the flour and the sugar, pour in the warm liquid and mix - then add the salt and knead realy well ( mixing first protects the yeast..as salt can slow it down and sometimes kill it)...
    shape and put straight into the tin to prove.... dried yeast sometimes isn't strong enough to rise twice
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • blackvelvetshoes
    Options
    Hi there

Fresh yeast is best (well i think so) but you can use dried yeast if that is what you have for now...

mix 1 sachet of yeast into the flour and the sugar, pour in the warm liquid and mix - then add the salt and knead realy well ( mixing first protects the yeast..as salt can slow it down and sometimes kill it)...
    shape and put straight into the tin to prove.... dried yeast sometimes isn't strong enough to rise twice

ooh you are brilliant,thanks for that :T
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooo :rotfl: I just spotted a really cool french stick tin now *sits on hands to stop buying it* :o

well thanks everyone now i want one too lol Dh has been complaining as i keep making free form bread as the kids prefer it in there lunches but not enough sandwich bread as my tin is too small. Now i want the new bigger tin and the french stick tin cos that looks soo cool
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

just a quick one.... here is a pick of todays loaf using the recipe i posted earlier..just to give you some ide of what size loaf it makes.... and i managed not to let it "mushroom today" :rotfl:

bread2dk8.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • salster
    salster Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

just a quick one.... here is a pick of todays loaf using the recipe i posted earlier..just to give you some ide of what size loaf it makes.... and i managed not to let it "mushroom today" :rotfl:

bread2dk8.th.jpg

That looks lovely. :dance:
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013 :D
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    That looks brilliant MRSMC might try a freehand one myself tomorrow after seeing that :T
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well. mrsmcawber... what can I say? Once again, I'm in awe. I have a fantastic bread recipe also, but that just looks so good, I can't not try it, lol.

Thank you for taking the time to post both the recipe and the picture :)

Lx
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results:D

hope it helps

Well... I have finally gotten round to making some of this bread... and its lovely:D. I am just waiting for it to cool properly, so that I can slice it and freeze it. But I am not sure how much will make it to the freezer:o

I had to use dried yeast though. But it did seem to work.
    Where do you get fresh yeast from ?? As I would like to try using this to see if there is any difference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure