Working Tax Credits

Options
I am thinking of working for myself and sending my daughter to nursery. I have been told that I will get working tax credits. Is there anything that i should do to get working tax credits. ie. only work a cetain number of hours a week etc.

Comments

• TheWaltons_3
    TheWaltons_3 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    Options
    I am thinking of working for myself and sending my daughter to nursery. I have been told that I will get working tax credits. Is there anything that i should do to get working tax credits. ie. only work a cetain number of hours a week etc.

Are you single?

If so, you will get child tax credits and working tax credits - you are better off working more hours, over 30 I think.
  • N71
    N71 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    You need to work a minimum of 16 hours to qualify for tax credits, and you get an extra premium for working over 30 hours a week.

You'll also get 80% (I think) towards your childcare costs.

If you know roughly how much you'll be earning, you can get a calculation on the Tax Credits website.

If you're single and claim support through the CSA, any mainenance will be payable to you, in full.

Don't forget though, if you're going off income support to go into work, you'll no longer qualify for housing benefit, council tax benefit, school meals, etc etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure