National Locksmith Call Centres

2»

Comments

• al69
    al69 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Mathew j you really need to take a chill pill and reread my post.

Its not a legal requirement to be part of the mla and i know several very good locksmiths who arent members.You may find that hard to believe but i know those who know these people would agree also, people you will most unlikely to meet but if you did you would come away amazed at their ability.

Im now not a locksmith but when i was i made sure everything was done correctly,if i didnt how come im aware of the regulations i linked to ?

You know as well as i do the weakness of upvc doors in general so maybe i should i have been a little more precise with my use of words.My error im sorry.

Instead of ranting at myself when i offered very good useful advice why didnt you offer the same advice earlier in the thread when you posted ?

Lastly anyone with knowledge knows why use a drill bit when something else will do the job a lot better ? i wont post it here as i dont want it a 101 for thieves but ive overcome every lock ive come up against using this as a last resort, brilliant on failed locks and worked everytime.

Im no longer in the trade because its swamped with part timers,call centers and cowboys etc.I now get paid holidays,sick pay and a pension as an employee so happy with my lot.

I wish you well in the trade, but please chill im on your side and can cut a 110 key by hand :)
  • MathewJ
    MathewJ Posts: 44 Forumite
    al69 wrote: »
    Mathew j you really need to take a chill pill and reread my post.

Its not a legal requirement to be part of the mla and i know several very good locksmiths who arent members.You may find that hard to believe but i know those who know these people would agree also, people you will most unlikely to meet but if you did you would come away amazed at their ability.

Im now not a locksmith but when i was i made sure everything was done correctly,if i didnt how come im aware of the regulations i linked to ?

You know as well as i do the weakness of upvc doors in general so maybe i should i have been a little more precise with my use of words.My error im sorry.

Instead of ranting at myself when i offered very good useful advice why didnt you offer the same advice earlier in the thread when you posted ?

Lastly anyone with knowledge knows why use a drill bit when something else will do the job a lot better ? i wont post it here as i dont want it a 101 for thieves but ive overcome every lock ive come up against using this as a last resort, brilliant on failed locks and worked everytime.

Im no longer in the trade because its swamped with part timers,call centers and cowboys etc.I now get paid holidays,sick pay and a pension as an employee so happy with my lot.

I wish you well in the trade, but please chill im on your side and can cut a 110 key by hand :)

AL69 - I have no axe to grind! Just bored with 'advice' that is not relevant or current or backed up by any live/real commercial advice - as you already said you are no longer in the trade, not sure how long you have been out of the loop?

I don't really understand why hand cutting a Chubb (now Union) 110 key for a well made mortice lock by hand has anything to do with opening the latest 3 star euro cylinders?

To cut a key for the latest 3 star euro cylinders you need a dimple cutting / laser CNC unit, they are approx £25k each with the jaws.

A 110 is like cheese compared to a 3 star euro in a decent multipoint uPVC door. Opening a 110 is simple, compared to the 80+ components in one modern 3 star euro cylinder.

Seriously take a look at the latest locks - I'm about to start selling an Abloy Mul-T-lock padlock that is cloud based... it knows where it is, it tracks itself, it can have a 20M fence/zone and tamper alarm all connected to the internet/cctv/tracking. Currently being beta tested on the back of lorries in the Arctic circle.
    My company is not stuck in the dark ages - nor do we assume we can rest on our laurels.

The old 110 is great - but like anything, evolution happens.
    I'll bet you £200 you can't open my front door (ABS) in 30 mins without dynamite or plastic explosives (or paying my kids to give you a key)
    If you stay loyal all the time, you get treated like a dog.
  • al69
    MathewJ wrote: »
    AL69 - I have no axe to grind! Just bored with 'advice' that is not relevant or current or backed up by any live/real commercial advice - as you already said you are no longer in the trade, not sure how long you have been out of the loop?

I don't really understand why hand cutting a Chubb (now Union) 110 key for a well made mortice lock by hand has anything to do with opening the latest 3 star euro cylinders?

To cut a key for the latest 3 star euro cylinders you need a dimple cutting / laser CNC unit, they are approx £25k each with the jaws.

A 110 is like cheese compared to a 3 star euro in a decent multipoint uPVC door. Opening a 110 is simple, compared to the 80+ components in one modern 3 star euro cylinder.

Seriously take a look at the latest locks - I'm about to start selling an Abloy Mul-T-lock padlock that is cloud based... it knows where it is, it tracks itself, it can have a 20M fence/zone and tamper alarm all connected to the internet/cctv/tracking. Currently being beta tested on the back of lorries in the Arctic circle.
    My company is not stuck in the dark ages - nor do we assume we can rest on our laurels.

The old 110 is great - but like anything, evolution happens.
    I'll bet you £200 you can't open my front door (ABS) in 30 mins without dynamite or plastic explosives (or paying my kids to give you a key)

Come on chill out, the 110 reference was to the mla exam. :)

You should know by now the best cylinder in the world is useless if you bypass it and access the mech direct ? One small drill hole...

I loved a bit of nde,some of the gucchi falle stuff is amazing.Seen the 110 decoder thats 3k to buy ? How about a 3ks decoder ?

Why do you seem so angry ? Im with you on this, i hate the ones who play at it as much as you do.They helped put me out of business.

For the record i had national contract for a facilities management firm serving very well known blue chip companies.Not exactly non commercial especially with assa access control electric locks everywhere on a lot of sites.Drilling those meter wide doors is fun.

Just because i chose not to join the mla doesnt make me a lesser "ex" locksmith imho.I know plenty who are in it though.

I may even see you at telford later in the year, who knows ?

Im not questioning your ability or expertise in anyway cant you see that ?
  • MathewJ
    MathewJ Posts: 44 Forumite
    al69 wrote: »
    Come on chill out, the 110 reference was to the mla exam. :)

You should know by now the best cylinder in the world is useless if you bypass it and access the mech direct ? One small drill hole...

I loved a bit of nde,some of the gucchi falle stuff is amazing.Seen the 110 decoder thats 3k to buy ? How about a 3ks decoder ?

Why do you seem so angry ? Im with you on this, i hate the ones who play at it as much as you do.They helped put me out of business.

For the record i had national contract for a facilities management firm serving very well known blue chip companies.Not exactly non commercial especially with assa access control electric locks everywhere on a lot of sites.Drilling those meter wide doors is fun.

Just because i chose not to join the mla doesnt make me a lesser "ex" locksmith imho.I know plenty who are in it though.

I may even see you at telford later in the year, who knows ?

Im not questioning your ability or expertise in anyway cant you see that ?

Hey - I was a little over the top sorry:A I will be at the MLA conference I think Fri and Sat but Sat morning will be best for me if you want a 1-1 !
    We nearly lost everything tonight as next door unit burst into flames - 7pm and we left at 6.10pm with my son on work experience with me.
    Brings it all back to reality and what's really important... No one was hurt and tomorrow we will discover if our Silca babies are alive and kicking!
    Pics here - dont accuse me of spam please, this was 7.30pm tonight from one of my co - directors and our unit is the one on the far left (next door) We don't sell fire....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=642817369079919&set=a.525425984152392.127791.525408734154117&type=1&theater
    If you stay loyal all the time, you get treated like a dog.
  • al69
    It must be a nightmare time for you, that is something you cannot plan for.
    I hope the machines are good, i know you could probably get another on the insurance but its not the same as something you have set up just right and cuts how you know everytime,if that makes sense ?

Still not 100% if im at telford yet but hopefully meeting up with some buddies for a beer or 3 if al goes to plan and i can get the time off "work". :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure