PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Puddickle - that will be a fantastic reduction of outgoings for you and I'm sure you'll do well on here.

The recipe collection is brilliant at the beginning of this thread and I'm sure you'll find some things on there that will help you stick to your challenge.

Hope it goes well for you. ;)
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still in July til the 31st, really want to get back down to £300; but just don't think it is do-able with two kids off school. It will be constant breadmaking, treat stock up and meal planning. Already this month i am nearly up to £400 with the shopping and my eldest DD back for two weeks. My Dad has also been away so haven't had chance to frequent any cheapy shops. I'm going to have a think about what meals we can have and come back with a budget, and consider a possible stock up shop at AF if i can see anything worthwhile

£360 please.

Being as i now almost have a supermarket on the doorstep (11 days and counting), i am going to aim to now withdraw the amount i am aiming for that week, and see what it gets me. I might still have to do the odd shop online, but trying to get it right down again for September. Will reduce again once the summer hols are done with! I am going to have a good sit down and look at all the offers in Mr M and make use of money off coupons; also, now my phone is back i will also install the Mr M app.

Thanks to all that run the thread, and Good Luck to all taking part as it's a tough month for those who have kids or kids visiting.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,953 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD here.
    I remember School holidays with my 6 children. I had 3 boys/3 girls - eldest was 11 when last one born. I took them to the beach as a cheap day out when the youngest was out of a pram and into a buggy. We walked there and back - carrying a fold up chair/windbreak and beach toys + food etc.
    We also went to the park for picnics. Then there were trips to the rec - swings/slides/roundabout.
    I was forced to go onto benefits when youngest was 1 year old - husband had a serious illness.
    I made ice lollies/yogurts and baked. I could not afford to visit the ice cream van when it came round - bought packs of cornets/tub of ice cream. Children had choice of squirty toppings and sprinkles to use as well.
    When the youngest was old enough - all 7 of us went out on bikes for the day - took a picnic. My husband rarely went anywhere with us!
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 0/3
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £58.56/£100 NSD - 81
    2024 Craft Makes - 209 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 July 2013 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Just had a PM from MSE Badger saying I have been money tipped and awarded a badge.

Anyone heard of this before as I havent.

Ok my badge is the trolly sign under the number of posts, cool
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Puddickle wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I've decided to post on here - as we really really need to do something about our spending. We totted up our incomings and outgoings... and we spent a whopping £900 (!!!) on groceries in July, most of which came from popping to the shop for extras... and ran out of money (unsurprisingly) after a few other big purchases.

In August - we aim to halve it... and therefore our budget is £450.

We are a family of two adults (I'm pregnant and eating like a horse), and a 2 year old.

Looking at some of the things you lot have achieved this should be more than doable... and if we stick to it - maybe we'll even manage to reduce that down!

This isn't just about reducing our grocery spend. We are trying to pay off a £25,000 credit card debt, and although we have cut up all cards, and put them on 0%, we are only chipping away slowly. If we could put that extra £450 towards our credit cards then we would have paid them off in no time, and can think about doing things like buying a new house/car without getting ourselves into stupid debt.

We have been stupid *hangs head in shame* but it is time to sort it out. We need your help!!

Hi and welcome, I am sure you are going to do reallly well .
    Slimming World at target
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck Puddickle :T.

You'll find the OSers to be a friendly and genuinely helpful crowd.
    When I first started, they made me really welcome and gave some fantastic advice. As long as you're willing, you'll be able :)

Today, I spent an extra £3 as I joined my auntie and cousin who were going to a certain American owned supermarket. I picked up some cheese, chicken and ham for next week.

I have also started another attempt to give up my remaining addiction, diet coke. I'm in full detox mode with a blinding headache and a thirst that pints of water aren't quenching.
    I made it three weeks last time, I'm hoping for longer now. Saves quite a bit of money!
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,953 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had Quorn Burger with Tomatoes, Chestnut Mushrooms, Baked Beans + Poached Eggs for dinner.
    Tomatoes from the 50p bag Mr F got. Beans - offer - Asd. - 4 for £1. Mushrooms - Lid. - offer - 59p tub - used half - Mr F had a lot more than me.

Wednesdaysdinner_zpsde3391e3.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 0/3
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £58.56/£100 NSD - 81
    2024 Craft Makes - 209 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • dylan2011
    dylan2011 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Maitane wrote: »
    Good luck Puddickle :T.

You'll find the OSers to be a friendly and genuinely helpful crowd.
    When I first started, they made me really welcome and gave some fantastic advice. As long as you're willing, you'll be able :)

Today, I spent an extra £3 as I joined my auntie and cousin who were going to a certain American owned supermarket. I picked up some cheese, chicken and ham for next week.

I have also started another attempt to give up my remaining addiction, diet coke. I'm in full detox mode with a blinding headache and a thirst that pints of water aren't quenching.
    I made it three weeks last time, I'm hoping for longer now. Saves quite a bit of money!

I feel your pain with the diet coke addiction - I too have one of those. I am in the process of cutting back - from 14litres a week to 4 litres a week this week - next week I aim for 2 litres - the cutting back really does give you headaches, shakes etc. Good luck to you. x
    Mum of 2 monkey. 4 yrs and 2 yrs :j
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Dylan2011, I've cut down massively but I just can't seem to stop.
    I've even managed to give up smoking easier but at my worst, when everyone else was affected by cryptosporidium in the water supply, I was fine. We figured it was because I hadn't drunk any water that week, just 30 litres of diet coke. :eek:
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Edited to say I used a leg and wing to make 4 chicken and sweetcorn pies and the other leg and wing to make 4 x chicken curry toppings for baked potatoes. I put the bones skin and all left over bits in the pressure cooker with a pint of water and will make veg soup when I have bendy veg to use up.

So unless the heat has fried my brain, I am melting here, the sun just streams through my kitchen window. I make that 20 meals. when previously would only have been 4.

I have thoroughly enjoyed myself today and have taken a smartprice gammon joint out of the freezer, had to really to get everything in. So I plan to have a playabout with this tommorow.
    Wow that is great
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure