PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Never ever thought I would say this but I am really fed up of strawberries and raspberries, have eaten all I can frozen all I have space for and just done a quick flit round the neighbours to give them some.

I can't imagine having too many raspberries! Wish I was your neighbour! :) I LOVE red fruit. I have been taking advantage of the cheap cherries in Adli but raspberries are never on a really good offer.
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi :o

After the overspend last month, I have upped my grocery budget to £250 for August.

I am also trying to meal plan and bake treats as opposed to buying - hopefully this shoud keep us on track.

I am still getting over the shock of how much we spent :mad:

Good luck for this month everyone x
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Went to mr t today to do the shop for next weeks meal plan. Stuck to my list just about but did buy strawbs and everyday value apple sauce and cranberry suace and yogurts. I had value bacon on my list but bought a pack of cooking bacon instead. Hope this will be ok in place of lardons in a rice salad and in carbonara. At 80p I thought it worth a try.:)

Bought Branston beans at 35p a 410g singly as a four pack was £2.50!

I spent a grand total of £35.44 and am chuffed to bits as this bought a lot of stuff including some more expensive bits like a big block of cheese, Parmesan, feta and a lot of fruit. Previously this would have been a top up shop spend:D

I have another spanner in the works on top of the oven blowing up. I cooked pork loins today and they were rank. I think they have been in the freezer too long. I have already cooked up some old mince for the dog and these loins are destined for his chops too. I have 7 left:o

This has messed up my plan a bit as, along with the chicken, these were going to be the core of my meal plan this month to keep my budget below £100 on our use it up plan but it looks like I will need to buy some meat so will have to increase the budget a bit:(. This just illustrates how we have bought stuff in the past and just not used it up. We have 2 fridge freezers and when we have eaten up a bit more we will turn one of them off to stop this happening. It is the same if I make a batch of chilli or soup, I freeze it and then it never gets eaten.:o

I got a discount at the hairdressers today and bought a birthday gift under budget so will use this £40 to increase my budget to £140.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    Morning all. Start of august GC for me today. I'm either going to do an online shop today or go to morrisons tomorrow. I will see what Mr T's has on offer. I've got loads of risotto rice in the cupboard so will make that for tea. Also have loads of new potatoes that need to be used up so I will make a large potato salad to add to meals over the weekend. I have a big block of butter that needs using up as its BBE date has gone, so I will make flapjacks! yummy. If I don't order online today i will have a NSD! xx

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have decided to really have a go a using up this month and to encourage myself I am putting 5.00 in another purse for every day I manage this, if I do spend then I will take 5.00 out even if I only buy a paper. The money in the 2nd purse will be used for a treat at the end of month.

Today is day 3 so 15 in purse.
    Slimming World at target
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 July 2013 at 11:43PM
    Options
    On second thoughts would you lovely people change my August limit to£320.
    Thank you :)
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all. Start of august GC for me today. I'm either going to do an online shop today or go to morrisons tomorrow. I will see what Mr T's has on offer. I've got loads of risotto rice in the cupboard so will make that for tea. Also have loads of new potatoes that need to be used up so I will make a large potato salad to add to meals over the weekend. I have a big block of butter that needs using up as its BBE date has gone, so I will make flapjacks! yummy. If I don't order online today i will have a NSD! xx

If you get a morrisons offer leaflet, there is a voucher for £5 of a £35 spend, and another voucher for £3 of a £20 spend. Both are valid from 22nd July-11th August.
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Do the offer vouchers come through the door or are they available in store? We haven't had any leaflets from them and no longer have a free paper delivered which all the supermarkets leafleted in. £5 off £35 is a good offer as others tend to be off £40. Hope you don't mind me butting in. I try to do the grocery challenge myself and lurk on here. Can't change colour or font so can't join in. Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,883 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Sorry haven't posted on here yet due to a very hectic week :o

Budgets now done to here :)

Welcome to:
    Angie66, GCLR263, citygirl40, tallyhoh, Maitane, irinaE, gayleygoo, girlatplay, Puddickle, chocolatebum, RHYSDAD and lhead123 :D

Will be joining you myself on 31st July.

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • pixiedust09
    pixiedust09 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello peeps, and welcome all newbies. Popping in to declare my first spend for August of £50.68 popped to Ald* to stock up as bought 2 mirrors yesterday and used one of the £5 off vouchers today and a few of the other coupons which were for 50% & 30% off some items. I got most of the meat for the month, also bought some cider and a bottle of wine, general store cupboard staples and I did treat myself to a bunch of sunflowers for £3. They were massive sunflowers and you got 5 stems, whereas you only get 3 small stems at co*p for £3.

We're still eating from the July GC at the moment but won't need anything else from that budget thank goodness, as did go over a little :o. This month will be different :D.

Off to find a banana muffin recipe now, as have some nana's on the turn which need using up.
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport