Argos product caused injury - what should I do?

Options
I hope this is an OK place to put this thread. Please forgive me if not.

My hubby and I bought a chair and desk set in the Boxing Day sale from Argos. I've got the receipt here. Tonight the chair has just broken, the back just snapped off as hubby was sitting in it and he's got a gash in his side now!

Thing is, the desk is fine so I really don't want to have to unhook everything there and take it back and try to find another one. But obviously this product is not safe (the seat had already almost broken off but he thought he'd just glue it when it came fully off).

Advice?
:money:

Comments

• immy
    immy Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    Why was he siting on an already half broken seat?
  • ambyuk
    ambyuk Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    The part you sit on had just come unglued in a couple of places, nothing major. He was going to superglue it when it fell all the way off. It's the back of the seat that snapped tonight.

DSCF3289.jpg
  • mhendo
    mhendo Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    You can take it back to any store, just go to customer services with the chair and receipt and explained what happened. Customer service staff should get you to fill out a Haznot form (Products that have caused injury)

If the item is still sold in store then they should be able to replace the chair for you and send the returned back to HO as a Haznot.

The product will then get tested and checked for any signs of misuse and then they will get in touch with you by letter if you requested it on the above form with their findings.

But if the chair was already broken before it should really have been taken back on the first instance of fault, you may find that Argos head office will see that it has been glued back together and refuse any claim against them.
  • biglugs
    biglugs Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Advice?
    Speak to your solicitor! The chair is obviously not fit for purpose (unless your husband is about 40 stone) and has caused a personal injury.
    At the very least Argos should be made aware of the problem so they can recall these to prevent other customers being injured too.
    And demand compensation either from Argos directly or through your legal advisers.
    You don't get medals for sitting in the trenches.
  • ambyuk
    Options
    The chair hasn't been glued back together, so they won't be able to claim anything. Since it had been past the 16 days and we got it on sale I just chalked it up to another cheap piece of crap and thought we'd get a better one when we could afford it. I just never expected the back to snap like that, sheesh.

I wasn't sure if contacting a lawyer was the right thing to do but I am concerned that hundreds of people have these chairs, they don't sell them anymore but surely we can't be the only ones?

(Oh, and my hubby is only 12 stone. :))
  • mhendo
    mhendo Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    If you bought it in store and was not delivered then take it all back to store and get a refund.

Fill the form in etc and wait to hear a response, in the mean time speak to a solicitor. But they have probably sold hundreds even thousands of these and may find this to be an isolated incident. How bad is the cut/gash? does it require stiches?

P.s. If this was a major problem then there would have been a withdraw from sell, when you go into store by customer services there is a notice board with the latest product withdrawals on A4 posters.
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    I gather the gash your husband has isn't bad as you are on here rather than at hozzie.

I would say take it back, and let argos do what they do. I wouldn't contact a solicitor as I hate ambulance chasers.
  • olivermilo
    Options
    i work for argos and the lady is entitled to a replacement of the item that is broken. Everyting comes with a full years guarantee. There is a contact number on her receipt all she has to do is phone the number and explain what has happened to the item and when and where she bought it from.
  • ambyuk
    Options
    Well, here's a bit of an update. I called the Argos customer care line and they told me I could take just the chair back since it was faulty. So I did, only to be told I had to return home and get the desk. :mad:

The manager wanted to give me a desk/chair set that wasn't at all comparable... because I got mine in a sale and they didn't have a sale on at that time. I said no.

I sent a letter to Argos requesting vouchers to buy a replacement desk and chair set and haven't heard anything back, it's been a month now since all this. Should I contact them again?

PS No the gash wasn't hospital worthy, although it did get infected and require trips to the Doctor. :rolleyes: He has a scar there now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport