Renting after reposession (I knew I would be back!)

Options
Hello all

Well after roller coaster that was Friday, I went and did a boot fair in the rain at 5.45am yesterday and earned a whopping £31! Woo.

Was so exhausted and had a furious row with dh and was "" this close to doing something very silly whilst dh was out with the kids.

Anyway - we put our £500 deposit down and gave the referencing forms to the Abbey National which they said it could take a week. So - we have a significant amount in the bank at the moment (enough to cover deposit and 5 months rent at least). Obviously we have not been discharged from our mortgage with our mortgage company (they should be repossessing in a couple of weeks). Do you think the references could come back unfavourable? The work reference has already been ok'd.

The agent is charging us £500 deposit (non refundable if we do not proceed) plus £195 administration costs (does this sound right to you?).

The other point I would like to raise and you clever lot to answer is this: Another agent put a new board up outside the house yesterday. We have called them this morning to find out whats going on, but the lettings people are not there (nb to self - get job as letting agent as they are all numpties:rotfl: ) does this sound right to you?

Hope you are all relaxing......

Comments

• wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I can recall, it's for the landlord to inform anyone the property is listed with that it's no longer available. If you paid your money on Friday/Saturday, it's conceivable that the landlord may not know about it & may have made arrangements for the new board to go up in advance. I'd ring the agent you paid as well as the agent on the new board on Tuesday morning, to make sure that the new board comes down asap & the property isn't offered to anyone else. :)
  • NoMoreExcuses
    Options
    The landlord was informed whilst my dh was sitting there paying the deposit. We told them we are selling the house to dhs brother, she didnt seem too happy about that tbh. Our letting agents are not open this morning, but we rang the other agentsand they are not giving any clues away.
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    Oh, well maybe the landlord had already agreed for the board to go up & might have had to pay something for withdrawing it at the last minute (just playing devil's advocate here). I think the only thing you can do is wait until Tuesday morning, as both companies & the landlord should be available to tell you what's what. You could also speak to the CAB & Shelter at the same time (Shelter has a housing rental advice section, so you can find out about your rights from them). If the landlords advertise the property when they know you've already paid your money to rent it, that looks a bit suspect, but you've got your rental agreement & I'd have expected a full refund if they renege on the deal.
  • NoMoreExcuses
    Options
    Thanks so much for that...thats what we shall do xxx
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all

Well after roller coaster that was Friday, I went and did a boot fair in the rain at 5.45am yesterday and earned a whopping £31! Woo.

Was so exhausted and had a furious row with dh and was "" this close to doing something very silly whilst dh was out with the kids.

Anyway - we put our £500 deposit down and gave the referencing forms to the Abbey National which they said it could take a week. So - we have a significant amount in the bank at the moment (enough to cover deposit and 5 months rent at least). Obviously we have not been discharged from our mortgage with our mortgage company (they should be repossessing in a couple of weeks). Do you think the references could come back unfavourable? The work reference has already been ok'd.

The agent is charging us £500 deposit (non refundable if we do not proceed) plus £195 administration costs (does this sound right to you?).

The other point I would like to raise and you clever lot to answer is this: Another agent put a new board up outside the house yesterday. We have called them this morning to find out whats going on, but the lettings people are not there (nb to self - get job as letting agent as they are all numpties:rotfl: ) does this sound right to you?

Hope you are all relaxing......

Hi NME,

We had a similar experience at the first boot fair we went to; absolute waste of money, we decided to stick to ebay.

Providing you haven't defaulted on any loans or credit cards, and especially given that you've got funds with the Abbey Nat, the bank reference should be o.k, but thers's never any guarantees.

Administration fee sounds high compared to what we paid but that's probably just a geographical difference.

As for the other agent, could be any one of a number of reasons but until you get chance to talk to your letting agency or the landlord it's only going to be speculation.

Gotta go, just had family arrive, will have a look later.

Richard
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    £31 is still money and you did well. Boot fairs can be disheartening as people want your stuff for nothing. As for the renting issue it's unlikely you will be able to find anything out till they open back up on Tuesday try not to worry.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• NoMoreExcuses
    NoMoreExcuses Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Well, it seems that the other agent was instructed a week before we viewed, but have just been late putting the sign up. Our agency isnt open today so will try tomorrow.

Thanks everyone
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    Well, it seems that the other agent was instructed a week before we viewed, but have just been late putting the sign up. Our agency isnt open today so will try tomorrow.

Thanks everyone
    There you go - that's great news. Now you can enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday. They can sort out the mess between them - the only thing you care about is that you get the property & don't lose any money on the deal. :)
  • NoMoreExcuses
    NoMoreExcuses Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    This is a bit off the beaten track, but as a newbie I have been reading lots of interesting threads.

I am not surprised that there are posters who feel that people deliberately get like this/in this situation. i myself have to hold up my hands and say that yes, I did by a new top when i couldnt afford it, or shopped at Sainsburys instead of Nettos, or drew out cash from my credit card for a night down the pub. I realise that the logistics mean that if i go BR then its passed on to other customers ultimately. But I have to say the pain and anguish and humiliation that i am going through now, plus losing our home is certainly punishment enough. And I have not even filed for BR yet.

I wish, I wish, I wish that I had not been so ignorant and careless with my spending. But it was never ever my intention to deliberately not pay it back. I always thought that when we did 8 months work for another company that we would be paid and we could pay off our debts. Unfortunately they liquidated and we were left. Nothing to do with illness....although the debt has contributed to my poor mental state at times.

Anyway - just a little mini-rant... :-)
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE POUNDS ADMIN. good grief. that sounds really high
    Ive used agencies 3 times and the most i have ever been charged is £40.
    The 'admin' fee is to cover the cost of doing a credit search-as far as i know- have they empoyed the Queen to do yours?
    Really might be an idea to check that out.
    Also would worry about a non-returnable £500 if you do not proceed. The agents i've been with the admin cost is non returnable if i do not proceed but nothing else.
    Check it out, if its not too late.
    Good luck
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure