A&L/MBNA and a wee nest EGG

Options
Good news first - by using MSE's template letter I am due to receive nearly £900 from EGG (PPI on their credit card). I've had to send them a marriage cert due to a change of name before they release the cheque - which I've done and am now expecting to receive a cheque in the post very soon. (They specified within 20 working days, and I'm counting)

Thank you MSE! That was pretty straightforward!:money:

I am about to fill in a complaint with the financial ombudsman regarding 2 more credit cards that have previously had PPI on both. They were attached to my A&L bank account and I was under the assumption that I had to have them (I didn't want them) and the PPI that went with them.

Stupidly I ran up a bill on both, thankfully one is paid off but but the other is still being paid off painfully slowly.

I contacted Santander who took over A&L with a view to reclaiming PPI - but they rejected the claim. In the first instance they said that anything after 2006 is the responsibility of MBNA; if I can prove that I had PPI before this they would look into it.

So I contact MBNA, they also reject the claim. They state in their letter that they took over the PPI from A&L but then sent me a letter outlining the terms and conditions - I could have cancelled at this point if I was unhappy. As I didn't - basically tough luck.

(Luckily) I am and have been in secure employment with excellent conditions - sickness cover etc. Just as well since I was off sick at one point for 6 months. But never claimed anything on the PPI. I have never needed it - and only had it as I thought it was a condition of credit - not something optional.

TBH I don't remember seeing any letter from MBNA, but even if this was sent - I would have assumed that the situation remained the same, that it was still necessary to have the PPI.

I've spoken to the financial Ombudsman's office and they think it could go either way.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation & what was the outcome? Also is the fact that I was seriously ill (& unable to cope with much beyond getting through each day) whilst much of this was going on relevant? Should I disclose this?

Really all I want to do is pay off the card and try to get life back onto a stable footing.

Comments

• StuWhite
    Options
    Hi SonzyB

Can I ask on what grounds you made your successful Egg CC claim?

I have an egg card which i applied for online back in the early 2000s but I was not aware that I have been paying for PPI. Did you use the basis that the check box was pre completed? I cant believe that I would have intentionally ticked the box as I ALWAYS opt out of insurances etc when taking out a product.

Thanks

Stu
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    StuWhite wrote: »

I have an egg card which i applied for online back in the early 2000s but
    I was not aware that I have been paying for PPI.

Stu

It would be itemised on every monthly statement (which had a balance)
    Did you not notice it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    StuWhite wrote: »
    I have an egg card which i applied for online back in the early 2000s but I was not aware that I have been paying for PPI.

You can't complain of being unaware of credit card PPI since it appears on every monthly statement as a separate line!

If your statements didn't show PPI, then you didn't pay it.

It's also unwise to attempt to compare your circumstances with others. Every complaint is dealt with on it's own merits (or lack of).
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Egg didn't really send out statements though, so unles you logged on to check, it's easily missed.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • SonzyB
    SonzyB Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Stu

I just followed Martin's advice, word for word. When I applied for the card I was in full time work with a Local Authority and therefore had good sickness cover. I was not given any choice in taking the PPI - as far as I was aware it was part of the agreement for taking the card so I felt I had no choice but agree.

I had a bit of faffing about regarding signatures and my marriage certificate, but the cheque arrived yesterday and was lodged immediately ;)

Good Luck with your claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport