We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clearing this un-level weed-ridden brick mess!

Options
darkh0rse
darkh0rse Posts: 118 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Hi all

I've just moved into a new (rented) house and I thought I might take on the challenge of tackling this monstrosity that is the back "garden". I thought it would be a good project to get in to, I have no gardening experience.

20130531123849.th.jpg

As you can see, there are weeds everywhere, barely any grass, buried brick, stones etc.

Spent a few hours this afternoon trying to dig out all the weeds, looks a lot better now:
20130531191736.th.jpg
... but where do I go next? Every time other I chuck the spade in I seem to be hitting brick not soil.

Been trying to Google around to find the answer but most of the guides I've found assume you have a reasonably level surface to start with, which I don't.

I'd like to achieve a flat lawn with a small flower bed, nothing too ambitious.

TIA.

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Is it worth it for a rental? IMHO I'd glyphosate it, membrane, 10mm golden gravel and grow some plants in pots you can take with you.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    As above, don't waste too much energy and money on someone else's garden. That said, why not dig an area for the bed, removing stones. But before you do that, glyphosate the area otherwise you will be breaking up weed roots, and sometimes that helps them spread. As for the lawn, maybe just rake the dead weeds off, rake the top to get some tilth, spread some grass seed into the tilth, and cross your fingers.

Alternatively, kill the weeds, leave an area as path, then sow some flower seeds everywhere, and enjoy a 'meadow'. And cut it back in late autumn. It might be a bit late though for that option. Things like chamomile, nigella, poppies will grow fine.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    As above, but if you want the satisfaction of a good looking back garden while renting a bit of work is needed. I've found a fork is often better than a spade for getting out bricks near the surface and removing weed roots.

Lightly fork over the area to be lawn, make a pile of the bricks and also try to remove perennial weed roots. Doesnt matter if you dont get every last one, you can aways weed and feed a lawn later and regular cutting will kill off some weeds. Then rake the area to create a tilth of surface soil and make the area as level as possible. Firm it by treading and retreading, then another quick rake to prepare surface for the lawn. For an instant fix apply rolls of turf and keep well watered, for a cheaper method use grass seed.

Dig the flower bed area to about one foot depth, removing bricks and weed roots and use your brick pile to edge it. Its probably not worth putting in perennials but a display of bedding plants will cheer up the whole garden.

There are lots of ways to tackle this, but as you've shown a willingness to get stuck in, I thought you wouldnt mind a bit more graft ;)
  • darkh0rse
    Options
    Thanks all for suggestions. Certainly will do something along these lines. You're right that I want to find the balance between doing "someone else's" garden and having something nice.

Will glyphosate the lot, price a few things up and report back soon.

Thanks!
  • demystified
    demystified Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    What a mess, its certainly wants re-turfing/sowing, but it also needs forking over to at least remove the rubble near the surface, it doesn't require a whole lot else apart from good drainage and level surface (get busy with a rake after you've forked it). Whether you think its all worth it is up to you...
  • darkh0rse
    edited 26 July 2013 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Folks, just a quick update. I glyphosated the lot with a sprayer and that worked well, however, a few huge weeds have reappeared so may have to give it yet another going over.

I have begun turning over the garden but all this hot weather hasn't made it an easy task! I have done a third or so of it so far. Following this my brother in law's folks say they have a rotavator I can use so I may just have to borrow that to continue! Then I can continue implementing the above suggestions. When there is a further significant update I shall update you all on the MSE garden!

Once it's level I can rebuild the shed that has been dismantled. Hopefully this will stop the gf pestering me about my push bike that's in the kitchen. Personally I can't see the problem...it's the perfect place for it if you ask me...
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    darkh0rse wrote: »
    Hopefully this will stop the gf pestering me about my push bike that's in the kitchen. Personally I can't see the problem...it's the perfect place for it if you ask me...

I disagree. It'd get in the way there. Mine's in the lounge. :whistle:

P.S. You can't really rotavate bricks. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be very careful of doing anything 'permanent' to the garden of a rented house. I've had friends who've spent a lot of their own time and money making gardens look lovely, only to be stung for 'damages' when they move out because the garden isn't in the same condition as it was when they moved in. Ridiculous, but that's how it is ... so it's probably best to get some kind of permission before you do anything.
  • darkh0rse
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I'd be very careful of doing anything 'permanent' to the garden of a rented house.

Ta yes, I actually haggled a lower rent in exchange for me tidying up the garden anyway. Again a reason why I want to strike a good balance between cheap/good job, as it gives me that incentive to do something with it too! I just didn't realise how big a job it could become (landlord obviously did not point that out at the time...!)
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    darkh0rse wrote: »
    Ta yes, I actually haggled a lower rent in exchange for me tidying up the garden anyway. Again a reason why I want to strike a good balance between cheap/good job, as it gives me that incentive to do something with it too! I just didn't realise how big a job it could become (landlord obviously did not point that out at the time...!)

if you are able to find the time and willing to spend some money, you could find the whole project very satisfying. Don't forget to post some pics of your progress. Good luck with it.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure