Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 8 January 2014 at 11:21AM in Energy
edit as no longer need info
2016 diet challenge 16lbs/42lbs lost

2014 MFW #114: £5000 overpayments made
2015 Savings Challenge #65: £6000 saved

Replies

• I don't know how much help it will be as not really sure of the legalities and I only rent not own.

I have lived in my HA flat for 3 and a half years. About a year ago I realised that I was paying for the wrong gas meter.

After lots of back and forwards with British Gas, who I was with when I first moved in and nPower who I was then with. BG paid me back everything I had ever paid them and wrote it off and NPower paid me about £50 compensation.

The HA who owns the block then paid the difference between what I had paid and what I should have paid as they told me the incorrect meter.
  • edited 31 May 2013 at 11:08PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2013 at 11:08PM
    Nothing to do with the freeholder. It's up to the account holders and their suppliers to ensure that they are being correctly billed.
    She should therefore be entitled to some credit, so what's her objection to contacting them?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thats not an uncommon thing with flats, the letters need to be addressed to each flat giving them the common sense method in sorting out whos meter is whos.Nice big labels on each meter so it does nt happen again. nothing to do with the supplier. Each tenant should sort it out properly themselves
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Her bill will have a MPRN number which should match the white label on her meter that matches her particular property. 1st start is speak to the supplier.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • dogshomedogshome Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are all the gas meters are located in a common area, and how many flats are there ?

Identifying who's Gas meter is who's, is more difficult than with Elec meters - It would best be done by a co-operative effort by all the residents, so that at a particular time all residents, except one, switch off all gas appliances, then the 'Exception' can see which meter is recording their gas use, and then so on till all residents have identified their meter

With a couple of bottles of wine, it could be a great Meet-the-neighbors party
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eeyore238 wrote: »
    I don't know how much help it will be as not really sure of the legalities and I only rent not own.

I have lived in my HA flat for 3 and a half years. About a year ago I realised that I was paying for the wrong gas meter.

After lots of back and forwards with British Gas, who I was with when I first moved in and nPower who I was then with. BG paid me back everything I had ever paid them and wrote it off and NPower paid me about £50 compensation.

The HA who owns the block then paid the difference between what I had paid and what I should have paid as they told me the incorrect meter.

why does a supplier give compo when its not their fault
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    chanz4 wrote: »
    why does a supplier give compo when its not their fault

HiYa chanz4, I think its more fundamental than that, if the supplier was given the wrong MPRN but have been delivering to the correct meter connected to the dwelling, they have an entitlement to be paid.

If the supplier was given the wrong MPRN and have been delivering to the wrong meter, they have no entitlement to be paid, on the basis that not one therm was delivered to the dwelling in question.

However is is as you say the consumer's responsibility to check the MPRN and the MPAN are their own. I suspect a knock~on~knock arrangement will be agreed between suppliers, and the householders asked to cough up the ± % aggregate difference. I like the O/P would be kissed off at that arrangement, but I suspect they would usually differentiate by square area size, as in 1 bedroom or three bedroom use etc.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals