Solid wood/Composite/uPVC door?

Replies

• OFarkOFark Forumite
    1 Post
    A Solid core door and a Composite door have two distinct differences; 1) Composite Doors have a stiff foam interior, and Solid core doors are basically plywood, really thick plywood, but still basically plywood. and 2) Composite doors are better thermally insulated. Solid Core doors provide less thermal protection, it's till good enough for regulations, but the glass is better thermally than the door, so you have to have thermally insulated glass. You also need much better (stronger) hinges to hold the weight. Solid core doors can weigh upto 80kg including frame.This is what drives the cost up. Solid Core doors aren't going to warp because it's cross bonded ply. Both are covered in a GRP skin, so weathering isn't going to be a problem. Composite GRP Door is rated at 25 years, a Solid core door at 35.
  • myslefmyslef Forumite
    16 Posts
    Wood is a beautiful material (smell, look and feel), but it is complex and high maintenance. Wood is a natural product and it will shrink and swell according to humidity and solid wood is expensive. Engineered doors are by far the most commonly sold type of door so they are more prolific in availability and they are generally cheaper than solid doors.
    worldinteriors.co.uk
  • myslef wrote: »
    Wood is a beautiful material (smell, look and feel), but it is complex and high maintenance. Wood is a natural product and it will shrink and swell according to humidity and solid wood is expensive. Engineered doors are by far the most commonly sold type of door so they are more prolific in availability and they are generally cheaper than solid doors.

Wow this is an old thread thats been dug up but I will just say that Accoya doesn't swell,shrink or rot but is expensive. Its also worth noting that a door constructed from European Oak can last for centuries but we will never see a Upvc or Composite door lasting centuries..........By the way an "Engineered" can be solid timber its just constructed from sections of solid timber laminated up to form and door stile or rail which makes it very stable.
  • ChanesChanes Forumite
    879 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Over the years and moves we have had five Rockdoor Ultimates fitted and loved them. The first one we had fitted still looks as good as the day it was fitted and it faced the sun all afternoon without ever causing a problem. When you have a composite fitted the UPVC doors seem really bad. I can't remember the last wood door we had being a problem but that was long ago.
  • I'm in the trade and have sold/installed all types of these doors in my experience composite doors are made from grp which the colour will fade over time.they do warp and the timber core ones do swell with water ingress though the glazing cassettes.
    I would recommend ROCKDOORS as they are by far the best available.
    Best for energy efficiency
    Best for security
    And are pvc skins not grp,each door is made from scratch (not like composites which are a slab chopped down to the size of the door! )
  • How much did you pay for your Rockdoor Chanes ?

Seems Rockdoor have some really bad reviews of late when you Google them, Robert do you think still they are the best ? Also do you fit around London ?

Be interested to know what you went with in the end OP ? And if happy

Anybody else with more recent experience or recommendations ?
  • FurtsFurts Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Robert983 wrote: »
    Best for security
    And are pvc skins not grp,

This makes me smile. grp was used for car bodies, and lorry cabs. Many 4x4 have grp roofs, and in the construction industry grp has been around for 30+ years as a roof valley. Nobody would construct any of these items from pvcu because it would be useless. However in the home improvement market common sense goes out the window and using pvcu for a door skin is claimed to be advantageous.

Buyer beware comes to mind here.
  • thebaldwindowfitterthebaldwindowfitter Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    This makes me smile. grp was used for car bodies, and lorry cabs. Many 4x4 have grp roofs, and in the construction industry grp has been around for 30+ years as a roof valley. Nobody would construct any of these items from pvcu because it would be useless. However in the home improvement market common sense goes out the window and using pvcu for a door skin is claimed to be advantageous.

Buyer beware comes to mind here.

you really do write some rubbish with little thought for what you say grp is a glass layering system which gives it the strength to use in the examples you give upvc does not have this strength in flat sheet hence why it is not used in these applications
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • FurtsFurts Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    you really do write some rubbish with little thought for what you say grp is a glass layering system which gives it the strength to use in the examples you give upvc does not have this strength in flat sheet hence why it is not used in these applications

Many upvc doors split as they age. So grp skins became the answer to overcome this. Most manufacturers followed this route. Some did not.
  • thebaldwindowfitterthebaldwindowfitter Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    Many upvc doors split as they age. So grp skins became the answer to overcome this. Most manufacturers followed this route. Some did not.

So do many grp skins just lile upvc due to low lying direct sun .We have in the course of doing UPVC fascias etc replaced grp valleys well under 20 years due to cracking . oh and as far as vehicle bodies are concerned these are gel coated grp hence why there is less fade and they do crack and fade i have never known a Rockdoor skin split in the 20 years i have been installing them bubble yes where as in the 8 or so years grp doors have been around i have seen many but then i work in the industry both on domestic and new build and not simply here to knock these industries constantly in my ramblings
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals