EON standing charge increase for a change we did not request

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 2K views
primowinoprimowino Forumite
20 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Help! When we moved into our house 6 years ago we were charged for our house and our garage (30 yards away with a different address) as one bill and one standing charge. After a year or so Eon said they would prefer it if we had a separate bill for our garage, but they assured us we would never get a standing charge for the garage. We use about £1 a year of electricity in the garage (a light bulb). However when we got the last bill they have decided to charge a standing charge of £25 per quarter for the garage, that's £100 a year for £1 usage!!! We have complained but they said it's in the majority of people's interest that they do this. Has anyone else come across this. Does anyone else have a supplier that will allow a single bill for home and garage. We have asked to be disconnected, but as we are in Scotland they cannot just remove the fuse like elsewhere, they have to remove the whole meter box. It seems totally unfair that we can get an additional £100 charge per year for something we did not request and that we were assured would never happen. Has anyone experience of complaining to the ombudsman?

Replies

• joncombejoncombe Forumite
    317 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    primowino wrote: »
    Help! When we moved into our house 6 years ago we were charged for our house and our garage (30 yards away with a different address) as one bill and one standing charge. After a year or so Eon said they would prefer it if we had a separate bill for our garage, but they assured us we would never get a standing charge for the garage. We use about £1 a year of electricity in the garage (a light bulb). However when we got the last bill they have decided to charge a standing charge of £25 per quarter for the garage, that's £100 a year for £1 usage!!! We have complained but they said it's in the majority of people's interest that they do this. Has anyone else come across this. Does anyone else have a supplier that will allow a single bill for home and garage. We have asked to be disconnected, but as we are in Scotland they cannot just remove the fuse like elsewhere, they have to remove the whole meter box. It seems totally unfair that we can get an additional £100 charge per year for something we did not request and that we were assured would never happen. Has anyone experience of complaining to the ombudsman?

Switch to Ebico or Utility Warehouse. Both offer tariffs with NO standing charge. In the mean time feel free to complain to EON. I think unless people do this they will decide that consumers have accepted standing charges - but I doubt they will do anything about it. I don't think you can complain to the ombudsman without having gone through the utility companies own complaints procdure first.
  • JSRJSR Forumite
    187 Posts
    joncombe wrote: »
    I think unless people do this they will decide that consumers have accepted standing charges - but I doubt they will do anything about it.
    This is a consequence of Ofgem's so-called tariff simplification. Two tier tariffs are now banned which means suppliers can choose to have a standing charge with a low unit rate, suitable for normal and high users, or no standing charge with a high unit rate, suitable for low users. Each supplier can only have a maximum of four tariffs and so suppliers are not likely to waste them on offering both options. It's what consumers asked for, apparently!
  • edited 31 May 2013 at 1:12AM
    rogerblackrogerblack Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    edited 31 May 2013 at 1:12AM
    Help! When we moved into our house 6 years ago we were charged for our house and our garage (30 yards away with a different address)
    Do you own all the propery between them?
    Might you be able to simply dig a trench, and place a line?

It would not surprise me at all if Elbico were to have to introduce a minimum spend.

If the garage is literally only needing lit - then a suitable solution may be something like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECHARGABLE-SOLAR-POWER-PANEL-GARDEN-SHED-LIGHT-GARAGE-SUMMER-HOUSE-LAMP-SLISHED-/161026533387?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&hash=item257dede80b
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    rogerblack wrote: »
    It would not surprise me at all if Elbico were to have to introduce a minimum spend.
    I think Ebico have stated that if they were forced to introduce a standing charge, they would, but that charge would be £0.00.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcFormer_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi primowino

Just thought I'd confirm a few details about our standing charges.

We introduced a standing charge across all our tariffs on 18 January 13. This isn't an additional charge but replaces the two tier structure we used previously. Although I do appreciate, those with little or no energy usage, like yourself, will probably see an increase.

Before this change, most of our tariffs had a two tier pricing structure. This is where the first portion of kWh used were charged at a higher rate.

We've written to all customers affected by this change to let them know about the standing charge.

This change means there's now a fixed charge for the connection. It's to cover the costs of things like meter reading, maintenance and certain rental charges where the meter belongs to another operator.

It also covers the cost of keeping you connected to the network so energy is available when you need it.

Network costs relate to maintaining the infrastructure. For instance, the upkeep of pipes, cables, pylons, overhead and underground lines, sub stations etc. This infrastructure is run by other companies who charge us to use their services.

We have a duty of care to make sure everything is safe, too.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ..if you have no need for power in the garage,just lighting then a rechargeable light as described by rogerblack is the logical answer.
    As an aside, several years ago I had a separate garage in a block 100 yards away,with electric light -but no meter -I wonder who was paying for the lighting:rotfl:
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

If you have 2 meters, then you will have 2 accounts.

Eon would have written to you some time ago regarding the introduction of a standing charge in lieu of the former 2 tier pricing they operated.

If you didn't wish to accept this change, you could have told Eon this and remained on the existing 2 tier pricing until you switched supplier (which you would have to have done)

Use a comparison site to find the best deals for you - they may be different for each account.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals