We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
wireles setup
smokybabe
Posts: 2,477 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi, I hope there is someone who can help me with my wireless conection.
I am with AOL and they have sent me a DG 384G router by netgear, to become wireles I have bought a BT Voyager 1055 USB 2.0 Adapter.
The router is configured and all set to go and the enclosed disc tells me that this is fine.
The adapter is configured and ready after a long talk with AOL to aquire the wep code.
The wireles icon says status conected and the icon for the adapter says status asociated.
However when I try and set up the wireless connection the set up disc from AOL tells me that the wireles is not supported, tells me to set up the adapter with the enc. disc (done - many times today):mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: and then says I need to go to the help menu. I can not for the life of me see where I am suposed to go from there to finish setting up the wireless conection?
Please is there anyone out there who can help me with this?
AOL support have been worse than useless and I have wasted most of the day on this.
Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Smoky.
I am with AOL and they have sent me a DG 384G router by netgear, to become wireles I have bought a BT Voyager 1055 USB 2.0 Adapter.
The router is configured and all set to go and the enclosed disc tells me that this is fine.
The adapter is configured and ready after a long talk with AOL to aquire the wep code.
The wireles icon says status conected and the icon for the adapter says status asociated.
However when I try and set up the wireless connection the set up disc from AOL tells me that the wireles is not supported, tells me to set up the adapter with the enc. disc (done - many times today):mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: and then says I need to go to the help menu. I can not for the life of me see where I am suposed to go from there to finish setting up the wireless conection?
Please is there anyone out there who can help me with this?
AOL support have been worse than useless and I have wasted most of the day on this.
Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Smoky.
If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape 100 days of sorrow.......Chinese proverb
DFW No 172.
DFW No 172.
0
Comments
-
Don't use any AOL set-up CD to configure the BT 1055. Assuming that you have correctly set-up your router as per these instructions use the instructions that came with the BT 1055 to make the wireless connection to your router. You need to get the wired connection working correctly first, using the Ethernet cable and then move on to getting the wireless connection working. The instructions in the link show setting up of a WEP encryption key but you should use WPA-PSK as this has superseded WEP and is much more secure when used with a long randon key from here.:doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:0
-
Thank you,

I will have another go with this after work tonight.
Smoky.If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape 100 days of sorrow.......Chinese proverb
DFW No 172.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards