Ovo overcharging VAT

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 1.1K views
JR4JR4 Forumite
77 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Just a word of warning to anyone with OVO I have just been informed by them that they having been charging me 20% VAT and the climate change levy, they have refunded me ( I need to check to make sure it is all correct ) but I would check previous statements just to be sure.

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were then presumably placed on a business tariff, so it's not just the VAT you want refunding.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • edited 30 May 2013 at 7:02PM
    WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2013 at 7:02PM
    When I was with Ovo, they only charged me 5% VAT.

Are they sure they didn't think you were a business user? Businesses are charged VAT @ 20%.

Why have you waited to be informed by Ovo? The VAT rate is clearly shown on the first page of your monthly statements.
  • JR4JR4 Forumite
    77 Posts
    I have been having trouble getting statements they have been taking the money but then not sending statements it turns out someone at ovo pressed the wrong button when I renewed with them. Just thought I would post so other people would check not to get a telling off for not checking my statements
  • edited 31 May 2013 at 11:24AM
    WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2013 at 11:24AM
    I've no idea what wrong button they would have pressed.

They produce a statement every month and send you this in pdf format by email.

If you suddenly stopped receiving your monthly statements after renewing your tariff for another year, then surely that would be the time to contact them. I'm sure they would send you another copy by email on request.
  • JR4JR4 Forumite
    77 Posts
    They pressed the wrong button and put me on a business tariff and yes I did contact them but they are having problems getting my statements which I have been trying to sort out I don't understand why you have a problem with it.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because your issue is not being charged VAT, it's being placed on the incorrect tariff.
    20% is correct for a business tariff.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JR4JR4 Forumite
    77 Posts
    Same thing still being overcharge I only found out when I was trying to sort out the problem with my statements in my book being charged to much is being overcharged if you don't like what I have said stop reading and commenting on my post.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals