Groupon deals

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
12 replies 1.8K views
shalisshalis Forumite
134 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Is anybody else fed up with Groupon and other similar companies, excluding NI from their offers.

I recently saw a deal for a high back "leather" office chair which was advertised as Available Nationwide. On checking out the deal I then saw it applies to UK Mainland Only. Furthermore the couriers were quoted as Parcel Force who operate here. Sometimes the couriers are companies who have no presence here but that is not the case with Parcel Force. I am not aware that they charge any more to deliver an item from say Southampton to Dundee than from Southampton to Belfast, so why exclude NI from the offer? When I registered with Groupon, I registered Belfast as my nearest town, so why send me "Nationwide" offers which are not available Nationwide.

I recently e-mailed Living Social on a similar issue and got a terse response which avoided completely explaining why they also had excluded NI from a particular deal.

Replies

• I've noticed this a lot recently actually... 'UK Mainland Only' :p
    Even for jewellery/watches! As you say, postage/courier costs are usually the same as anywhere else in the UK so why discriminate?!
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • jefferjeffer Forumite
    222 Posts
    The Daily Telegraph are just as bad. So many times I have been disappointed when I read the small print in their 'offers' :mad:
  • sillsill Forumite
    145 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    The worst is Amazon a 30ml bottle of aftershave went through the whole click to buy ,sign in etc to be told at end we are unable to deliver to Northern Ireland ????. Sill
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sill wrote: »
    The worst is Amazon a 30ml bottle of aftershave went through the whole click to buy ,sign in etc to be told at end we are unable to deliver to Northern Ireland ????. Sill

You weren't buying from Amazon, it must have been Amazon market place.

It's up to individual sellers where they ship to.

Amazon deliver to NI very quickly in my experience.
  • dmxdavedmxdave Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    sill wrote: »

Could be the Post Office rules that do not allow flammable liquids to be sent via Royal Mail
    Flammable liquids
    This includes mixtures of liquids or liquids containing solids in solution or suspension which give off a flammable vapour. Any liquid with a closed cup flash point below 60.5° C is prohibited e.g. acetone, benzene, cleaning compounds, gasoline, lighter fuel, paint thinners and removers, petroleum and solvents, certain alcoholic beverages, perfumes and aftershaves, varnishes and enamels including nail varnish.
    Dave
  • whitesidewhiteside Forumite
    39 Posts
    BigAl94 wrote: »

I'm nearly sure I had the same issue via amazon a while back direct from amazon. I know they deliver to Norn Iron for nearly everything but got a message about perfumes/aftershaves not being deliverable. !!!!!!! disgrace as it was a great deal.
  • Cooper18Cooper18 Forumite
    286 Posts
    ✭✭
    whiteside wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure I had the same issue via amazon a while back direct from amazon. I know they deliver to Norn Iron for nearly everything but got a message about perfumes/aftershaves not being deliverable. !!!!!!! disgrace as it was a great deal.

Daves right, it's a flammable liquids thing with Amazon. Don't understand it myself, but thems the rules.
  • x12yhpx12yhp Forumite
    801 Posts
    Flammable goods are a generic problem. The majority of postal services prohibit dangerous goods, this includes flammables such as perfumes. The majority of the time you will find that companies selling products simply have not considered this. Amazon are too big not to have done so - we are stuck with the law!
    Always overestimating...
  • gibbynigibbyni Forumite
    335 Posts
    shalis wrote: »
    I am not aware that they charge any more to deliver an item from say Southampton to Dundee than from Southampton to Belfast, so why exclude NI from the offer? .

Most do charge extra for delivering from mainland to NI, Parcelforce also did this but im near sure they have done away with it now (think it was last month when all the Royal Mail prices changed, but i could be wrong) so there shouldnt be a problem
  • sillsill Forumite
    145 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    BigAl94 wrote: »

I use Amazon for a lot of things it was definately Amazon and not Marketplace couldn't understand it as have bought perfume aftershave from other companies with no problems. Sill
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals