We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What is this worth please

My pal is selling me a computer, used of course.

It has 150 gig of memory
512 ram
pentium (r) 4 cpu 3 ghz processor
nvidia geforce fx5200 graphics
soundex sound card ( i think)

He says it is a bargain @ £175. Having seen what I can buy new I am beginning to have doubts.

He also said the graphics card was ace, this does not appear to be the case after a simple google search. When he first gave me the comp the moniter would not fire up, I believe this is because he has removed the ace graphics card and swapped it for a cheap one and forgot to install the driver. No proof though

Warranty is not a prob, he will look after it.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Cricri
    Cricri Posts: 579 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    About the graphic card, you are correct: it's not "ace" at all. In fact, it's the cheapest nVidia card you can get. I used to have one like 4 years ago and wasn't impressed even back then. And even back then, it was the cheap card of choice.

    I assume you mean 150GB of hard drive. CPU and hard drive space should be sufficient, for memory, you could do with slightly more. I wouldn't recommend using Vista with 512MB of RAM for instance.
  • wwwdotcom
    wwwdotcom Posts: 27 Forumite
    Cricri wrote: »
    About the graphic card, you are correct: it's not "ace" at all. In fact, it's the cheapest nVidia card you can get. I used to have one like 4 years ago and wasn't impressed even back then. And even back then, it was the cheap card of choice.

    I assume you mean 150GB of hard drive. CPU and hard drive space should be sufficient, for memory, you could do with slightly more. I wouldn't recommend using Vista with 512MB of RAM for instance.

    Thanks fo that, what about the price though?
  • Cricri
    Cricri Posts: 579 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Check this other thread just below:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=462622

    For £151, you get a similar CPU, same RAM, and just a smaller hartd drive. But it comes with 3 years on site warranty.
    So unless yours comes with a good monitor as well, I'd pass. In fact, I'd be tempted to pass just due to the fact that he lied about the graphic card: who knows, the PC might have a fault he didn't tell you about.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well I just sold my 6 month old dell (80GB HDD, 512MB ram) for £150.

    I think its a decent enough deal if its being restored to factory standards
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    150 quid sounds more like for that spec. the cpu is ok but the video card is a bit naff.
    Get some gorm.
  • Zagu
    Zagu Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    As albertross pointed out on that thread, this one looks a good deal.

    http://www.dmxdimension.com/blogcategory/dell_uk_dimension_c521.html

    If youve already got an operating system, Id guess that you could sell Vista/XP for an extra £50ish, making it about £165. Personally I dont think your mates one is worth much over £100, and an FX5200 is very dated now.
    "I'm not even supposed to be here today."
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    I wouldnt pay £175 for it unless the monitor is a reasonable one. yes it may cost more that that to buy somthing similar but your getting a new machine and as for his warrenty would he replace a motherboard for nothing if it failed? I dont think so, he would replace it for you but you would need to pay for the new board.

    The graphics card is pants and he lied to you telling you it was good. Never buy a pc from a friend they rarely turn out to be as good as they say, and when things go wrog they get p****d at you phoneing all the time and if things rally go wrong do you really want to loose the friend over a £100 saveing on a PC?
  • fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    it doesn't sound like a friend I'd want to keep anyway. sounds like he's ripping you off
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't touch that for that price - maybe £100-£120 depending on the case and psu.

    Just to give you an idea of what you can pick up - I got a AMD 3700 1gb ram and a decent asus motherboard for £50 the other day. Better cpu and more ram than what you're being offered and I can easily add a cheap hd, case and graphics card and still be less money than what your 'friend' is offering.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.