Can two disabled people living at the same address both get DLA?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    I understand why people are wary about having DLA and CA for each other as it can appear to the 'outside world' to be a conradiction in terms ie how come a person is so ill as to need DLA yet they are concurrently well enough to be a Carer.
    Exactly, I get DLA for the effects of fibromyalgia, yet I am carer for my daughter, but the care my daughter needs is literally just having someone with her just "in case".
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Morglin wrote: »
    Yes, they can.

We do.

We don't claim as carers for each other, (no point, as it overlaps with RP and IB), but I think that "emotional support" is part of the criteria, so wouldn't necessarily be a contradiction.

Lin :)

If you did claim CA for each other, you might then qualify for IS/Pension Credit as each of you would be allowed a Carer's Premium (apporx £25 each) in the calculation, even though CA would not actually be paid (it is referred to as "underlying entitlement"). Also 2 disabled people both getting higher (or medium?) rate DLA care would each be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium under IS/Pension Credit calcs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure