Legal Services Policy.

Options
I have been trying to resolve an insurance claim for uninsured losses via a policy with the RAC. Under the terms of the policy they were to recover my losses after a major road accident, involving myself and 8 members of my family. This was a completely non fault accident and full liability was accepted by the other drivers insurance.

It went all wrong when the RAC appointed agents to handle the claim, they settled without notifying me, way under the value of my loss, and also failed to inform me of the settlement for 2 months, at this point i complained to the Insurance provider RAC who accepted there agent was wrong but failed to correct the mistake.

I issued court proceedings on the RAC in September 2012, and to date they have continued to palm me off. my loss for the claim was in excess of £ 21000.00 and to date I have legal fees of a similar amount. Although a solicitor has stated I can go to trial to recover my loss and the mistake by the RAC, they have put additional costs of approx £20000.00, I cannot afford now to go forward with this, and the RAC have achieved there goal and finally priced me out of the claim.

This all resulted from a non fault accident & the RAC agents settling the claim without telling me. the value of my loss at the onset of the claim £ 15000.00 plus costs, costs have risen because the RAC have given me the runaround for over 2 years, there is no help out there once you get to this situation.
Also the RAC after 2.5 years have informed me they reinsured the risk of my policy with the agents, so therefore I sued the wrong person, is it right for the RAC to pass the policy to someone else, without notifying me & and if they reinsure the risk does this remove all responsibility from them.

HELP needed desperately.

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    have they explained why they settled the claim £21K short?

is the £21K actually recoverable from anyone? (If you explain what it is for this might help)

Were the court proceedings for the alleged incompetence by the RAC?

Had/has the case ever gone to court for the losses in the first place?

not sure if the insurance ombudsman would be your best bet now, others may be more qualified to answer that than I.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be easier to name names rather than just referring to things as "agents" and especially as you are talking about things that happened some time ago and so companies ownerships may have changed.

Are you saying that you judged your losses for recover at £21,000 but the insurance appointed solicitors only recovered £6,000 and therefore you have sued the insurer for £15,000? Why did you not complain to the FOS when they admitted mistakes but did nothing to correct them? Why did you wait 2.5 years to issue against the insurer?

What did you mean by your statement:
    RAC after 2.5 years have informed me they reinsured the risk of my policy with the agents, so therefore I sued the wrong person

Reinsurance is an explicit term in insurance, its effectively insurance that insurers buy to cover the risks they are writing. This is perfectly normal and legal but I suspect that this isnt actually what you are talking about as it is nothing to do with you at all.

Is it you that say you've sued the wrong person? Your solicitors? The RAC?

How have your solicitors managed to run up £21,000 of costs in pre-court negotiations on a Fast Track case for £15,000?

There are a lot of elements in your story that are confusing/ sound a bit odd
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure