SS Nomadic

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
11 replies 1.9K views
BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Anyone thinking of visiting SS Nomadic which opens to the public on Saturday should be very cautious about booking tickets online at http://www.nomadicbelfast.com/buy-tickets

The payment site is NOT secure and it would be very unwise to enter any card details on this site. The absence of the https is very strange for a site of this nature.

I have contacted them but no response.
«1

Replies

  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of visiting SS Nomadic which opens to the public on Saturday should be very cautious about booking tickets online at http://www.nomadicbelfast.com/buy-tickets

    The payment site is NOT secure and it would be very unwise to enter any card details on this site. The absence of the https is very strange for a site of this nature.

    I have contacted them but no response.

    The actual payment/details site is secure clicking on properties gives - https://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=SSNOMADIC&p=payment&PHPSESSID=mnh5gg5nq8s15rumu8pv09pkd6&PHPSESSID=mnh5gg5nq8s15rumu8pv09pkd6
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    They spend a few million fixing the thing up and then spend (what looks like) a tenner on a Joomla template.
  • butterflymumbutterflymum Forumite
    978 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of visiting SS Nomadic which opens to the public on Saturday should be very cautious about booking tickets online at http://www.nomadicbelfast.com/buy-tickets

    The payment site is NOT secure and it would be very unwise to enter any card details on this site. The absence of the https is very strange for a site of this nature.

    I have contacted them but no response.

    I had a similar concern recently when making a Stena ferry booking and no https or padlock appeared in my browser bar, then discovered this explanation on their site:

    Our booking system is set within an i-frame which prevents a browser from displaying a padlock security symbol or "https" in the address bar. This does not affect the security of the page and all necessary security systems are in place for any bookings made online

    perhaps something similar applies to the SS Nomadic booking system.
    butterfly )i(
  • edited 30 May 2013 at 1:24PM
    BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2013 at 1:24PM
    Hasbeen wrote: »

    No it isn't.

    I quote from Getsafeonline.org


    Before entering payment details on a website, ensure that the link is secure, in three ways:
    • There should be a padlock symbol in the browser
      window frame, which appears when you attempt to log in or register. Be sure that the padlock is not on the page itself ... this will probably indicate a fraudulent site.
    • The web address should begin with ‘https://’. The ‘s’ stands for ‘secure’.
    • If using the latest version of your browser
      , the address bar or the name of the site owner will turn green.
    NONE of these apply to this site, the only "padlock" that appears is on the page itself.

    This is also worth a read and explains why you should never enter card details on a site that is not secure.

    http://webdesign.about.com/od/ecommerce/a/aa070407.htm
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ah - that's interesting - it DOES now point to an HTTPS site after you select tickets and proceed to payment - it didn't last night when I emailed them and still didn't before my original post at 12.15.

    Looks like they have resolved it.
  • waltsaltwaltsalt Forumite
    271 Posts
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Ah - that's interesting - it DOES now point to an HTTPS site after you select tickets and proceed to payment - it didn't last night when I emailed them and still didn't before my original post at 12.15.

    Looks like they have resolved it.

    Sure, sure. Lol.
  • I think it's absolutely fabulous that Nomadic has been restored and would love to have a wee geek at it sometime. Not this weekend though because it'll be mobbed.

    It'll be great when they get HMS Caroline fixed up too. I'd love to have a wee look around her. They should look for a few more interesting ships to moor there. I think there's one or two at the Transport Museum that might fit the bill.
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    GlynD wrote: »
    It'll be great when they get HMS Caroline fixed up too. I'd love to have a wee look around her. They should look for a few more interesting ships to moor there. I think there's one or two at the Transport Museum that might fit the bill.

    This will keep you going till she is open

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeXW8Rmdqs
  • BigAl94 wrote: »
    This will keep you going till she is open

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeXW8Rmdqs

    Fascinating. Looks like the RNVR did some modernisation though which will have to be undone. I wonder are the barbettes still there for the turrets?
  • x12yhpx12yhp Forumite
    801 Posts
    GlynD wrote: »
    Fascinating. Looks like the RNVR did some modernisation though which will have to be undone. I wonder are the barbettes still there for the turrets?

    I'm intrigued to know how much of the modernisation was undone on the nomadic. We were involved at the early stages and it turned out that, when the engine was taken out, the whole thing was filled with some heavy duty concrete. We concluded that it would take 10s of thousands of hours with drilling equipment to get it out... They were determined that it should be done so I'd love to know what ended up done!
    Always overestimating...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides