Relocating to Manchester

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in England
14 replies 2.3K views
Fran25Fran25 Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in England
Hi I am looking at moving to Manchester due to a new job. I am looking at anywhere within about 15 miles from Manchester. We would be renting and need at least 2 bedrooms for no more than £450 a month. Can anyone recommend the nicest areas for my budget.

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably helpful if you indicate where in Manchester the job is, and whether you'll be driving or using public transport. If using public transport, what are your nearest options for work?

I don't know Manchester, but I know that with many cities the transport options can be 'fractured', for example if you were working in the S of my city, you'd need to take two buses if you lived in the N because nothing goes all the way through and out the other end, IYSWIM.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Fran25Fran25 Forumite
    4 Posts
    It will be in the centre not sure of address yet as they are looking for a new office. Do have a car but if needed can take public transport. Thanks.
  • DomRavioliDomRavioli
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're not going to get much for £450 a month in Manchester!

I live in Castleton, its about 10 miles out, but there's trains every half an hour and they take 20 mins to get to Manchester Victoria train station, there's also a bus route which takes an hour (depending on traffic, its taken over 2 hours before now!) rochdale has trams, but we have the train (its only 3 mins to rochdale train station on a train from here, so not too much!)

Its fairly quiet where I live, there's some good schools, I'm about 15 minutes from Rochdale town centre in a car, 5 mins to the A627M (connects with the M62 at J20). There's a Mcdonalds, B&Q, cinema, bowling, Pizza hut, subway and frankie and bennies about 5 minutes drive away on Sandbrook Park, and a starbucks and tesco (big tesco), as well as an Aldi 5 minutes the other way. We also have Morrisons and asda a little further.

I pay £390.00 for my mid terrace (2 beds, big bathroom & kitchen) and you can find decent places up here for £450.00; I live here because of the transport connections, I can get on the 8am train and be in work by 9am, its quicker than driving in for me.

There's also a local park down the road, some shops, chippy, curry house and takeaway bits, and a couple of gyms (I'd recommend the Norton Grange Hotel one...well worth the money!)

Its a nice village, pretty quiet (you get the occasional chav like everywhere), mainly families and older people.

I think you can discount most of the city centre, you can't get a shoebox for £450 a month. You might find something in south manchester, maybe fallowfield or didsbury(both quite studenty) but you're going to have to be bloody lucky with what you find as £450.00 doesn't go far here.

I'd probably say have a look on rightmove within the local areas. If you need help with the areas, let me know as I've lived in and around manchester for the last 29 years, and i hope I know it quite well!
  • monty-doggymonty-doggy Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live in Stockport. The transport is brilliant. You can get one bus or one train, or like me you can still drive. If you contact car parks direct, you can get a deal for discount parking. I got a deal with NCP for £3 a day. If you are sure you will be long term some companies do a monthly fee which works out about £1.60 a day.

Didsbury is v expensive, unless you are in the student area.

Reddish isn't bad, again easy transport as is edgeley.
    Woodley and bredbury are both good too.

Good luck with the move :)
  • Fran25Fran25 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Thanks do either of you know about westhoughton? Is this a nice area?
  • DomRavioliDomRavioli
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fran25 wrote: »
    Thanks do either of you know about westhoughton? Is this a nice area?

Its in Bolton, and its pretty rough. I'd also avoid Bredbury (sorry Fran25 - its a hole...lived there for 3 years).

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/2005/04/westhoughton-bolton/ is what is the norm in westhougton.

Oh and its 14 miles from Manchester, bad transport links and wouldnt send my worst enemy...chav spotting!
  • monty-doggymonty-doggy Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends where in bredbury lol. I lived near harrytown, prob almost classed as Romney and it was lovely. But part of Romiley, like cherry tree, are a no go!
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at Rossendale it's 18 miles so a bit further out postcode is BB4 if you are looking on Rightmove

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41120588.html

The X43 bus stops at the bottom of this street which runs every few minutes from Burnley to Manchester.

Edited to add if you go into street view you can see the bus at the bottom of the street.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • DomRavioliDomRavioli
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rossendale is a LONG way out, and quite rural.
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Give Prestwich Radcliffe or Whitefield a look they are all north Manchester
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals