Can I claim PPI from 1997 and other dilemmas

Options
Hi,

I'm new to this but hoping you savvy people can help.

When I started student life in 1997 I took out a credit card with HSBC (could've been Midland back then). I definitely took out PPI which I thought was pointless at the time but being a clueless 18 year old, the staff convinced me it's something I should have. I don't have any paperwork and the account is closed as it was transferred to a loan and all paid off now. Should I even bother trying to get in touch with them as a) it was so long ago and b) I don't have any evidence or an account number?

I also have a Debenhams account that is still active. Around the same sort of time I was paying PPI ,though I stopped paying it a few years ago. At that time the store card was managed by GE Capital. Do I contact them or Santander card services who manage the account now?

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks for reading x

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To get evidence if there is any left, send a SAR and £10 to them - see the fornt page sticky. If you were unemployed, you should not have been sold it.
    You can also complain about the loan.

You complain to Sanatander. They will probably refuse you and tell you it was a pre-regulation sale, then you canc omplain to the insurer at that time.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • cjm1979
    Options
    Thanks for that. My HSBC account was also in my maiden name. Does that open up another huge can of worms?!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    why would it? you only need to provide proof you changed you rname, i.e. your marriage ceritifcate.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure