exempt estate / gifts before death / inheritance tax?

Options
Hi,
I understand that the threshold of the estate for inheritance tax is £325,000 and if it is then gifts (say to the deceased children) made within 7 years before death are taxable.

If the majority of value of the estate is in the property and the spouse of the deceased is still alive and living in the property, where they were together for their married lives, do the gifts made by the deceased still need to be taxed under inheritance tax?
Thanks.

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was the property held as a jont tenancy or as tenants in common?

Assuming you are in England or Wales?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything passing to the spouse is free of inheritance tax

So only if the gifts themselves (plus anything else not passing to the spouse) were in excess of the threshold would there be tax due
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Hi,
    I understand that the threshold of the estate for inheritance tax is £325,000 and if it is then gifts (say to the deceased children) made within 7 years before death are taxable.

If the majority of value of the estate is in the property and the spouse of the deceased is still alive and living in the property, where they were together for their married lives, do the gifts made by the deceased still need to be taxed under inheritance tax?
    Thanks.

Incorrect.

The gifts(PETS) in the previous 7 years use up the nill rate band and all the tax fall on the estate in most cases, there are some rare circumstances where the gift may be taxed.

What may be relevent is the transferable nillrate band if there is a surviving spouse as the PETS may reduce this.

Some executors don't look that deep into the gifts made in the previous 7 years.

Transfers between spouses and inheritance by a spouce are one of the exemptions.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Was the property held as a jont tenancy or as tenants in common?

Assuming you are in England or Wales?

Not(usualy) relevent for IHT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family