Accident and sickness and pre existing conditions

Options
Hello,
I have critical illness cover on my mortgage but no accident and sickness as I work in the public sector and get good sick pay. Anyway...for the past 6 months I have had some back and hip discomfort. I have not seen a doctor and have tried to sort it out myself to no avail. I did this so that it would not appear on my medical records in case I wanted to get Income Protection. I did though see an oestopath privately. I will need to see a doctor at some point if this persists. I would like to get Protection but, how much do I need to disclose? Is this a pre existing condition? I'm worried that if i don't disclose it, even though I haven't been to the doctors, it may come back to haunt me, but if I DO disclose it, I will be uninsurable and if I go to the doctors first, I will definitely be uninsurable as it will be down on my medical records. Please help!!!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes its an existing condition.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did this so that it would not appear on my medical records in case I wanted to get Income Protection.

Too late for that. It is not on diagnosis. It is on symptoms.
    I would like to get Protection but, how much do I need to disclose?

Everything. Symptons and visit to the oestopath.
    Is this a pre existing condition?

yes
    I'm worried that if i don't disclose it, even though I haven't been to the doctors, it may come back to haunt me

You have left it too late and you are now probably uninsurable as insurers generally do not like to take on new business when you are at the stage of symptoms and no diagnosis. They would likely defer the decision until the diagnosis. Although some may offer cover with a blanket exclusion on back and hip or anything related to that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • havingaball74
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. So, the best course of action would be to get a diagnosis BEFORE applying? It may be something that it not chronic at which point I can apply later, but if it IS something bad, would it be better to declare it as undiagnosed and therefore not as serious? Sorry for repeating myself!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The level of seriousness doesn't affect whether or not you have a condition to disclose.

If you have symptoms that last you shouldn't put off getting treatment in case they will affect your insurance premiums!
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have symptoms that last you shouldn't put off getting treatment in case they will affect your insurance premiums!....................

Or it may affect your health!!!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You could possibly look at short term income protection (Sometimes known as A/S cover).
    Depending on the insurer some will cover you for a pre-existing cover from month 13 onwards. The downside to this type of policy though is that it will usually only pay out for 12-24 months.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure