We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Is it possible to software write protect a usb drive ?
Jon_01
Posts: 5,933 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I’ve just got a shinny new Kingston 2 gig flash drive but was a little surprised to find no write protect switch which my cheap one has…
I’ve Googled but can’t find if there’s any way to software write protect these things ? (I have really strong feeling this can’t be done, but thought it was worth asking just in case).
I’ve Googled but can’t find if there’s any way to software write protect these things ? (I have really strong feeling this can’t be done, but thought it was worth asking just in case).
0
Comments
-
Just did a search and found:
http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/Useful_Utilities/Free/How_to_Password_Protect_Your_USB_Drive/
http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/howto/password-protect-USB-flash-drive.html
http://www.magic2003.net/
etc...
Did you really use google?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate[/FONT]0 -
Yup, but I'm looking to write protect, not password protect.0
-
-
You can create a partition on the USB drive using a Linux filesystem. It will be visible from Linux but from Windows it will be hidden.
But then you've to access it from Linux always
Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.0 -
He't not looking to HIDE/ENCRYPT - just make sure they can't get deleted!!!!!
There is no way of doing that! Unless your stick supports it.0 -
He't not looking to HIDE/ENCRYPT - just make sure they can't get deleted!!!!!
There is no way of doing that! Unless your stick supports it.
Which is what I thought the answer would be, damn...
Looks like I won't be using this one as a toolkit disc.
Dose adding a read/write switch really add that much to the cost ?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
