What can i claim for in a tax return expenses?

Options
Hi all, im due my first tax return and i am unsure of what i claim back out of my earnings?

Can i claim for -

National insurance?
Business insurance?

How do i go about just taking a fixed mileage as i use my car for business and work? Doing all the paper work for a fixed amount of miles every week? do i really need to keep all my fuel receipts?

Look forward to any advice - thanks in advance-Homer

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, im due my first tax return and i am unsure of what i claim back out of my earnings?

Can i claim for -

National insurance?
    Business insurance?

How do i go about just taking a fixed mileage as i use my car for business and work? Doing all the paper work for a fixed amount of miles every week? do i really need to keep all my fuel receipts?

Look forward to any advice - thanks in advance-Homer

Assuming you are self employed:

NI - no
    Business insurance - yes

Fuel receipts - no (unless you are also VAT registered)
    You should be claiming for actual business miles - keep a log :)
  • homeriscool
    homeriscool Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Assuming you are self employed:

NI - no
    Business insurance - yes

Fuel receipts - no (unless you are also VAT registered)
    You should be claiming for actual business miles - keep a log :)

If i do the same amount of mile on a 3 week rota - do i still need to keep an exact log of miles?
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    No or a longer answer for board requirements if you have ever tried posting just 'no", nope!
  • homeriscool
    Options
    Brassedoff wrote: »
    No or a longer answer for board requirements if you have ever tried posting just 'no", nope!

so i take it thats a no?
  • Wywth
    Options
    If i do the same amount of mile on a 3 week rota - do i still need to keep an exact log of miles?

Yes you do.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

Any expense that is "incurred wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade".
    Can i claim for -

National insurance?
    Business insurance?

Hence, business insurance, 'yes', because that expense was incurred for the purposes of trade; national insurance, no, because that expense is personal and nothing to do with your trade.
    ...Fuel receipts - no (unless you are also VAT registered)....

Non VAT registered businesses can claim back the cost of fuel as a business expense in exactly the same way as VAT registered businesses.

It's probably more straightforward, if you're running a small business and have a motor vehicle that has mixed private and business use, to claim back the x pence per mile for business use, rather than go through the palaver of private use add backs etc.
    Maintaining a mileage log would provide supporting evidence for that claim in the event of any future HMRC challenge.
  • Wywth
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    Non VAT registered businesses can claim back the cost of fuel as a business expense in exactly the same way as VAT registered businesses.

It's probably more straightforward, if you're running a small business and have a motor vehicle that has mixed private and business use, to claim back the x pence per mile for business use, rather than go through the palaver of private use add backs etc.
    Maintaining a mileage log would provide supporting evidence for that claim in the event of any future HMRC challenge.
    They can, and can also include a proportion of other vehicle running costs (with receipts) too... but the OP wanted to keep paperwork down, so I was basing my answer on the more starightforward mileage allowance. :)
  • homeriscool
    Options
    They can, and can also include a proportion of other vehicle running costs (with receipts) too... but the OP wanted to keep paperwork down, so I was basing my answer on the more starightforward mileage allowance. :)

Hi all - first of thanks for your help!

So just to have a straightforward yes or no,

can i just give mileage in as it will be the same for every week without having to keep a mileage log book, and keeping fuel receipts etc?

yes or no?
  • Wywth
    edited 30 May 2013 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Hi all - first of thanks for your help!

So just to have a straightforward yes or no,

can i just give mileage in as it will be the same for every week without having to keep a mileage log book, and keeping fuel receipts etc?

yes or no?

No, you don't need to give any mileage.

You deduct allowable expenses to reduce your tax liability.

If HMRC wish to check up on your tax return, you will need to be able to justify such expenses were "incurred wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade".

If you do exactly the same miles every week, then your log of miles "incurred wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade" will be quite straightforward.

But are your sure it will be the same every week? What if a customer cancels one week? What happens Christmas/New Year week? Won't you ever have holidays? What if there happens to be roadworlks one day and you need to take a diversion? What if something unexpected happens and you need to make an additional trip somewhere is "wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade"? What's the issue with maintaining a log?

If you decide to not take the simple route I thought you were after and not claim the allowable mileage allowance, yes you can claim based on receipts ... but you will have to be able to prove to HMRC, if asked, the proportion of business miles to total miles so that they can check you are using the correct apportionment.
  • homeriscool
    Options
    No, you don't need to give any mileage.

You deduct allowable expenses to reduce your tax liability.

If HMRC wish to check up on your tax return, you will need to be able to justify such expenses were "incurred wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade".

If you do exactly the same miles every week, then your log of miles "incurred wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade" will be quite straightforward.

But are your sure it will be the same every week? What if a customer cancels one week? What happens Christmas/New Year week? Won't you ever have holidays? What if there happens to be roadworlks one day and you need to take a diversion? What if something unexpected happens and you need to make an additional trip somewhere is "wholly and exclusively for purposes of trade"? What's the issue with maintaining a log?

If you decide to not take the simple route I thought you were after and not claim the allowable mileage allowance, yes you can claim based on receipts ... but you will have to be able to prove to HMRC, if asked, the proportion of business miles to total miles so that they can check you are using the correct apportionment.

Hi thanks for your help again

My business is a window cleaning round so i just do the same round every week/month so miles are the same, customers do go on holiday or cancel, but i still have to go next door anyway....

so i should stick with logging miles and claim back 45p per mile then....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure