morbidly obese and need to lose weight

Options
13»

Comments

• heartbreak_star
    Options
    With comfort eating/control starvation, a lot of it is how we're conditioned to view food. I had, at a very early age, the conflict of being told I was fat, but to finish all my dinner because the kids in Africa would be grateful for it. I also looked quite womanly early and because I was a dancer, I developed an eating disorder to minimise this.

If I'm going to comfort eat, I try and do it with meat or vegetable soup instead of sweets and crisps, but it's not as easy as you make out.

Also, we're not our ancestors. Biologically, we've developed a lot since then.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, we're not our ancestors. Biologically, we've developed a lot since then.

How have we changed?
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    How have we changed?

We're less active and eat alot more crap :P
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 27 June 2013 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    How have we changed?

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!/doc/20784743/Biological-Changes-in-Human-Populations-with-Agriculture-Clark-S-Larsen-1995

Don't know why the !!, lol. It's !!!!!!!!!!!, anyway.

A good example is our appendix. Due to eating less meat (amongst other factors), it has shrunk.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • LittleMissAspie
    LittleMissAspie Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    djtonyb wrote: »
    I have been diagnosed with Oral Allergy Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome) which means most fruits/nuts I cannot eat. I also have eczema which through a process of elimination I have found is exacerbated by dairy.
    Try low carb or paleo. There is absolutely no need to feel hungry all the time, that is a blood sugar problem. Keep your blood sugar stable and your cravings will go away, plus fat and protein keep you full up.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
    or
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Paleo/

Start with the FAQs on the right.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Cycrow wrote: »
    We're less active and eat alot more crap :P

That's our behaviour, not our biology.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

A good example is our appendix. Due to eating less meat (amongst other factors), it has shrunk.

HBS x
    Perhaps. However, I don't think that scientists have really figured out the true function of the appendix - the most common one I found googling was that it stores good bacteria, nothing to do with eating less meat. Anyway we only ceased our hunter-gather lifestyles around 10000 years ago so it is unlikely we could have evolved all that much from our stone age bodies in such a relative short period of time.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!/doc/20784743/Biological-Changes-in-Human-Populations-with-Agriculture-Clark-S-Larsen-1995

Don't know why the !!, lol. It's !!!!!!!!!!!, anyway.

I thought the appendix was a vestigial organ from ancient ancestors (pre Homo Sapiens) and would have been necessary when a much larger part of their diet came from cellulose.
  • al69
    al69 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    For those who struggle with hunger try having an impact diet whey protein shake from https://www.myprotein.com I do shift work and its not always easy to eat regularly or properly as the shifts constantly change.
    These shakes allow me to me fell full up until i can eat a proper meal and not have to rush it.

I also do a lot of various dumbbell workouts and martial arts so the protein is most welcome for recovery too.

Eating too fast or while watching tv is another reason you wont feel full.You dont allow your brain to actually notice you are eating because its distracted.Slow down and the brain is then able to send out the signals telling you when you are full so you eat less.

I think the biggest problem with people stalling on the weight loss is because they dont vary their routines enough.The body adapts very quickly so you need to switch it about to get continuous results.

Try doing the cycling with high intensity sprints for a minute so you are gasping ofr breathe.Go slow for 30 seconds then do it again.Try doing at least 3 minutes of your normal cycle like this and see how you get on.
    Weights is definately key as another poster mentioned.You burn more energy with more muscle.
  • dearbarbie
    dearbarbie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Get a hobby. You'll be surprised how satisfied you feel and forget about the hunger. I only really get the munchies when I'm bored.

Also - why can't your husband support you? You say he struggles to cook for you all? My boyfriend cooks us gluten-free meals for my diet.
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport