Restaurants

Options
we went to a restaurant on Saturday night , my brother in law paid the bill without fully looking at it but he asked for a copy so we could pay him for what we had, he paid £100 cash, as it was £95. The next day we looked at the bill and found out he has charged us a service charge of £8.20 and then my brother in law had given him a tip of £5 . Is it too late to challenge this now?

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure where CCs come into it...(it's a CC forum)

He can't challenge it formally. You were presented with a bill which he paid. It included a service charge (discretionary or otherwise) but you accepted this. Then you left a further tip. Nothing to stop you asking the restaurant to refund something to you but you can only ask. Or you can write of your experience on Trip Advisor.

I dislike the habit of adding a % to restaurant bills so favour places that don't.

My answer would be different if the menu had stated there was no service charge or that the % was different from what was put on the bill. Even then, it's tricky.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    my brother in law paid the bill without fully looking at it
    found out he has charged us a service charge of £8.20 and then my brother in law had given him a tip of £5 .
    Is it too late to challenge this now?

Not to put a too finer point on it.... The bolded bit say it all.

He better take that £8.20 as a cheap lesson to LOOK in future. :D
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • battleborn
    battleborn Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    I hate it when they put the service charge on the chip and pin machine, which ask's do you want to pay, yes or no, I always say NO.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Sure it's cheeky to include an optional service charge but he should have looked at the bill. TBH, he was only tipping a fiver for a bill of £95. That's only just over 5%! Don't be tight!

This is far too paltry a sum for it to be worth challenging (if you even could). Next time, check the bill.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure