We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Virgin Media 20mb

I am changing over to them from ADSL and am wondering what the set up will be for their modem. I am hoping it is straight forward. ALso any idea what modem they supply? How long does activation take (I was told same day) But Sales will tell you anything, I'd like relalistic.

Thank you in advance.
Regards,

Money Saver

Comments

  • Delilah
    Delilah Posts: 148 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    mine took a few weeks to be set up, no idea about the modem side of it but i then changed back to 4mb and honestly not noticed a difference at all!!
  • MercilessKiller
    MercilessKiller Posts: 7,143 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    They supply their own cable modem. Virgin Media isn't ADSL so you cant use an ADSL Modem to connect to them.

    You need a cheaper "Cable Router" where the modem they provide and installs connects to Virgin Media, and your router connects everything together :)

    Activation took me a day though I had to ring up a few times as they "forgot" to press the activate button but it eventually got sorted :P freephone now as well for customers :)

    As for Delilah, You'd need to be downloading a lot to notice any real difference. The biggest change of connection speeds is the Upload Speed rather than Download Speed. If that stays the same, then you'll hardly notice a difference :)
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    The 2 guys that fitted my Virgin Media, BB only, took 1.5 hrs to install the cable.Then while one packed up, the other made a phone call, within seconds the modem lights stopped flashing and steadied, that was it.
    I was up and running.

    I was told to run the CD, but there was a problem with it, I called the 0800 number and had it confirmed what I suspected that the CD basically puts the Virgin logo on everything.

    So, you don't need the CD but I would suggest logging in to your account to have a look at what is possible.

    As to speed, I am on 2mbs, and have tested several times, each time 2.07mbs thats over the last 4 weeks, so well pleased at the moment(fingers crossed).
    Move along, nothing to see.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.