We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

connecting base to bt home hub

india
india Posts: 685 Forumite
I've just brought a new computer and I have put my new computer in my son's room.

We only have one telephone extension in the whole house.

I have connected my new computer via ethernet cable to the hub. I brought a bt voyager 1055b adapter to put in my old computer so my son could pick up a wireless conection upstairs but it won't load every time I click the auto install it just re-start the computer and there nothing there.

Looking a the box I have enough memory and the right operating system, but I'm not sure if the processor is good enough, but should a message come up to tell me?

It says a min. of Pentium 300 mhz. I think my processor is anathlon 1.4.

What can I do to get a wireless connection?

Comments

  • computerwoman
    computerwoman Posts: 4,075 Forumite
    you could always try phoneing bt they give internet advise for so long when you get a new home hub,
    I have then home hub, but 2 pc's hooked up via ethernet cable, the xbox360 is wireless and all I had to do with that was put in the SSID code on the back of the home hub, have you tried that,
    dont really know much else about wireless with the home hub,
    sorry
    cw.



    Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

    MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • Jamangie
    Jamangie Posts: 85 Forumite
    Try connecting it via the usb port as an alternative to narrow down the possibility that it may be the connection you are using.
  • cledor
    cledor Posts: 809 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    What Op Sys on the old PC?

    Are you installing it from the software provided on CD with the USB Adaptor or letting the PC find the drivers?
  • india
    india Posts: 685 Forumite
    cledor wrote: »
    What Op Sys on the old PC?

    Are you installing it from the software provided on CD with the USB Adaptor or letting the PC find the drivers?

    The operating system is xp. I am using the installation cd and usb adaptor. It's suppose to be plug and play
  • cledor
    cledor Posts: 809 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    If it's like most other products, they tell you to always install the software before plugging in the device, assuming you're trying to do just that and it won't install. I suppose the only other way is to just plug it in and see if it can find drivers on the PC, they may also be available online but the PC is not online yet (unless you can move it again)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.