We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best Sellers at a School Fair.

Hi everyone,

In a months time I will have a stall at a local school summer fair.
I hand make jewellery out of clay and I have also recently started to decorate wooden plaques.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what handmade items are most popular at a school fair and the price range I should keep to?

I was also wondering if I should do a lucky dip as well?

Thanks for all your help and if anyone has any questions please let me know.
Regards, Vicky.

Comments

  • julie03
    julie03 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    It needs to be dirt cheap, I did one a couple of years ago and hardly got any sales.

    Might just be my area though
    I am trying my luck at a fair that is just for selling crafts so hopefully that will be better
  • MERFE
    MERFE Posts: 2,133
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Ah Vicky I am doing my first school summer fair soon too. I make tutu skirts and dresses but because of the price I don't expect to sell many of these so I also make hairbows and other accessories which I am expecting to do better with. I have a few specifically in the school colours. I do think people don't take a lot of money to summer fairs do they, when I take the kids I usually only take about £20 and expect them to have some rides each and an icecream or treat. I'd really go with taking more low value items if possible and a couple of higher value to showcase and lots of cards to give out. I figure even if I only make back the stall money but give out enough cards that someone orders something in the future than it was worth it.
  • I work at a school that always has a glass jewellery stall at the fair, they sell necklaces, earrings and rings. I think the rings are about £4 but not sure of the other prices, I've never really seen anyone buy the jewellery apart from one TA but practically every child in the hall has paid £1 to get a necklace out of the lucky dip (boys and girls). the same stall comes back every time and every time children are running round with these necklaces on. so if I were you I would definitely go with a lucky dip. (http://www.indigo-silver.co.uk/_familyCustom/0/areas/1635446078/content/html/x-murano-promo-2.5.jpg these are the necklaces that they have) hope this helps.
    Child of the Universe ;)
  • jellymum
    jellymum Posts: 19 Forumite
    What about traditional game like splat the Rat, or knock the tins over etc
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    You haven't said what kind of a school it is, public or state school, primary or secondary, and is it in a well off area?

    Thinking about the state primary school my children went to, the children wouldn't have a lot of pocket money to spend, so I'd go for little cute items, especially animals, about 50p or so. And kids love lucky dip!
  • dizzytina
    dizzytina Posts: 777
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Having done plenty of craft fairs and school fairs in my early days of crafting I would say definitely take a lot of pocket money buys with maybe the odd item that's more expensive. You mention you have just started making wooden plaques- I have always found small wooden keepsakes sell well most of the time like wooden bookmarks, wooden gift tags etc. depending on the school and area ( and other stalls) it may be worth taking an order book with you and allowing adults to place orders and leave a deposit.

    Xx
    V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155
  • Agreed with above, pocket money prices are key to getting sales.
    If it's a primary school fair I would suggest making some hair accessories - bows, ribbon clips, head bands!
    In always see those sell well :-)
    Snowball
    OH Mum Loan - £1010
    OH CC - £1200
    My CC - £3831.75
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    vickyjh wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

    In a months time I will have a stall at a local school summer fair.
    I hand make jewellery out of clay and I have also recently started to decorate wooden plaques.

    I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what handmade items are most popular at a school fair and the price range I should keep to?

    I was also wondering if I should do a lucky dip as well?

    Thanks for all your help and if anyone has any questions please let me know.
    Regards, Vicky.

    Hi Vicky

    I second the cheap side for a school fayre, as kids have a few quid to spend and will tend to spend that on games, most people assosiate school fayres with 2nd hand / white elephant items.

    I tend to find xmas fayres are better as people are more focused on presents, - but again not expensive.

    We done a few, and I have had necklaces for £1, purse tags 50p, hairslides with sticky hearts etc on £1 - some people even moaned at paying £1.

    Things like hair accessories will fly out with the girls, anything over £5 it's liable to be coming back home to you.

    xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.