We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Networking Vista and XP Pro. Is this the best option for me?
bazza1603
Posts: 591 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi,
I have got myself a new Desktop and am unsure which way is the best to keep a few folders up to date on both PC's. In the folders are websites and photos totalling about 4GB
Desktop is Vista Premuim
Laptop is XP Pro
I will access mainly from home, but do use the laptop while out and about. I need the info on the laptop to be up to date.
I would like to be able to print from both machines, and if possible browse from the laptop and have a look around my desktop hard drives while in the house.
What would people suggest, and have you got links to help me set it up?
Best regards
Baz
I have got myself a new Desktop and am unsure which way is the best to keep a few folders up to date on both PC's. In the folders are websites and photos totalling about 4GB
Desktop is Vista Premuim
Laptop is XP Pro
I will access mainly from home, but do use the laptop while out and about. I need the info on the laptop to be up to date.
I would like to be able to print from both machines, and if possible browse from the laptop and have a look around my desktop hard drives while in the house.
What would people suggest, and have you got links to help me set it up?
Best regards
Baz
0
Comments
-
if it's Vista Premuim 32 bit you should have no problem shareing the printer or files put only shared file not the hole pc , need some hardwere to share file and internet have you a router with WIFI on and is the laptop WIFI enabled ?(mite sound silly put if you do not now or not it's it not silly, if you have sorry for that question )if you have look here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=121274there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff0
-
Hi,
PC and Laptop both have wireless and connect via a Netgear router.
Regards
Baz0 -
I'd share the folders you need to synchronise using Samba sharing, and then synchronize the folders with a backup utility. a good free backup tool is Cobian Backup:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
About the printer, yes, you'll need to plug it on the desktop and share it so that the laptop can use it. If you want to be able to print directly without going through the desktop (e.g. so that you can print from the laptop even if the desktop is off), you can get a cheap print server from eBay. I have a JetDirect 300x myself, they can be found on eBay for dirt cheap. Or a 170x.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards