🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Urgent Help - Husband Left And Mortgage In Arrears

Options
pLEASE CAN SOMEONE ADVISE - MY HUSBAND LEFT APPROXIMATELY 6 WEEKS AGO AND THE MORTGAGE IS 3 MONTHS IN ARREARS. i AM ON SICK PAY DUE TO STRESS AND ALL HE HAS OFFERED IS £400 MAINTENANCE TOWARDS OUR TWO CHILDREN. i HAVE NO MEANS OF PAYING THE MORTGAGE AND LAST WEEK GOT A LETTER SAYING THAT IN 7 DAYS THEY WOULD START LEGAL PROCEEDINGS. I RANG THEM AND TOLD THEM MY POSITION BUT ALL THEY SAID WAS THAT IT WAS IN THER T&s THAT MARITAL BREAKDOWN WOULD NOT MAKE THEM GIVE ANY ASSISTANCE AND THERE WAS NOTHING THEY CAN DO.

THE HOUSE WENT ON THE MARKET 10 DAYS AGO BUT IN THE MEANTIME DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN GET ANY ASSISTANCE FROM ANYONE DSS OR SOMEBODY - PLEASE ADVISE BECAUSE I NEED TO START SLEEPING AND EATING AGAIN

Comments

• toonfish
    toonfish Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Your first port of call should be the citizens advice bureau - they will point you in the right direction
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

• Feanor
    Feanor Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Was the mortgage in joint names?
  • japanesegirl
    japanesegirl Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the mortgage is in joint names
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the fact that the mortgage is in joint names means it's a joint responsibility. The mortgage provider doesn't care which of you pays it, so long as it gets paid.

CAB is a good suggestion for a place to start. You need legal help as a matter of urgency and you need a solicitor who deals with legal aid cases.

HTH

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    are you getting full sick pay? if so for how long? have you contacted working families tax credit to say he's gone as your tax credit payments will go up.

Have you thought about selling your house to one of those companies who buys it off you and then rents it back to you>
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,152 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Who is your mortgage with? I thought most lenders these days undertook some duty of care and wouldn't turf you out at a moments notice. A friend of mine had a similar problem and they kept in touch with her and were quite supportive.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • japanesegirl
    japanesegirl Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I have a solicitor who is applying for an interim maintenance agreement through the court as hubby(ex) has got himself an expensive flat hence he has put himself somewhere where he cannot afford to pay me!!!!!!

The mortgage is with GMAC, I have applied for working tax credits but not heard yet. Sick pay is £72.55 per week.

The house is on market and have another viewing today. I couldnt afford to rent it back as would be too expensive and to be honest has too many memories. I will try CAB . thanks
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    HI a note to all who read

If you are facing repossession or being threatened.

The vast majority of repossessions are sought by sub-prime mortgage lenders and Secured Loan (2nd mortgage) providers. ie G-Mac and the like.

I have information that may be invaluable in keeping your home and sending the lender packing so if you are in such a position please pm me or send me an email. I will gladly do what I can.

Please note that we do not charge you any fees. We get the lender to pay your costs and ours if we successfully defend you.

good luck

Peter
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    petermb wrote: »
    HI a note to all who read

If you are facing repossession or being threatened.

The vast majority of repossessions are sought by sub-prime mortgage lenders and Secured Loan (2nd mortgage) providers. ie G-Mac and the like.

I have information that may be invaluable in keeping your home and sending the lender packing so if you are in such a position please pm me or send me an email. I will gladly do what I can.

Please note that we do not charge you any fees. We get the lender to pay your costs and ours if we successfully defend you.

good luck

Peter

Hi Peter, don't want to come across as unfriendly but touting for business is not allowed on this site. There are literally hundreds of people on the site who could help the OP- which is why the no touting rules.

MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,152 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

So tell us what this info is, don't keep it a secret!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport