'I love it when businesses !!!!! about each other' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's 'I love it when businesses !!!!! about each other' blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Comments

• SonOfPearl
    SonOfPearl Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    They're just like squabbling kids! :rotfl:

Na-na, na-na-na...

The funniest thing is that no-one else even cares. :rotfl:
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    RBS was the first Bank, Nationwide the first BSoc. Is that right?

Ah but Nationwide will argue that they provide bank accounts..... so they are the first company to provide online banking. :D
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • irishwench69
    irishwench69 Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hmmmm, I do love the Nationwide and their online banking is good - but *how* petty?!

For the sake of four days or so....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    I thought Bank Of Scotland were first by a long way actually with something I recall might have been called HOBS ("Home Online Banking Service"?), but that was perhaps not quite broad enough to be called "internet-banking" as it was just a dial-up direct to the bank I think.
  • squidworth
    squidworth Posts: 170 Forumite
    Great to read this thread, in my pre-divorce days (now i work at home to be with me kids) I was the main internet team consultant on this project and nationwide was the first bank to do any real internet banking, we were almost the first high street isp as well but tesco nipped us to the post by launching about a week before. These days it may not seem much but at that time the net was pretty much unchartered teritory for big business and we had to break a lot of new ground quickly and with a BIG emphasis on security and safety, especially being the first online bank in the UK. It was all a great success, with a great team and a lot of hard graft it all went well and the rest is history... me? I'm just pottering around on smaller web projects now and, although skint (ala uk divorce, she gets the money and i get the kids), am much happier!

So yes, maybe its not a big thing globally but if it had gone wrong even slighty it could have brought online banking, and shopping for that matter, into disrepute and who knows where we'd be now...

cheers!

ps normal disclaimers apply, this is not an official posting or anything just my random views as a member of the public
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure